PDA

View Full Version : 7250 rev limit

pnut
13-06-2004, 11:28 AM
Just bought a Beat and love it except for the 7250rpm problem. Have found 3 fault codes, 7, 9 and 17. I've read lots of old threads about people with the same 7000/7250 rev problem who have changed all sensors etc, but cannot seem to find anyone who has fixed the rev problem. All these threads are rather old (2000ish) and wonder if anyone has any solutions or ideas.

adrianp
13-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Mine has the same problem...:rolleyes:

Luckily I've found that in normal driving, it's not really much of a problem...

Hopefully I'll be able to meet up with Paul W at some stage and pursuade him to let me try his chipped ECU to see wether that cures the problem...

Mine only came up with code 9 so maybe I've got a couple of sensors that aren't working properly but the ECU thinks they are???

Steve, Any idea where on the engine/gearbox these bits might be???

Code 7 = THROTLE ANGLE SENSOR

Code 9 = No.1 CYLINDER POSITION (CYL SENSOR)
(you changed this one didn't you...)

Code 17 = VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR

Adrian.

pnut
13-06-2004, 05:55 PM
I quite fancy chipping mine so if you do manage to try the chipped ECU and that solves the rev issue, that's great. I'm planning on testing and then changing the sensors anyway, but do let me know how the ECU goes.

Phil

Paul w
13-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Dunno about that ade.......can't have you whizzing off in it!!

Maybe I should buy the Austrailian ECU thats up for grabs and chip that, as a try before you buy/troubleshooting ECU then rent it out?

PW

adrianp
09-07-2004, 09:51 PM
Well I chipped mine tonight and guess what...

Yep, the problem is still there...:confused:

It's getting to the stage now where I'm thinking about just living with the problem...

It's been like it since I got the car in July 2001 so I haven't really known anything else in the performance line.

I must say though, with the chip fitted (need to e-mail you on that Paul), the car does seem to have a bit more get up and go.

So, the search goes on.

One thing I am wondering about though, is could it be the camshaft???

I'm only wondering because it seems like the engine is just running out of puff suddenly as if the valves are at max opening and are limiting the amount of air entering / leaving the engine.

Bit of a long shot I know but it's just a thought...

Question to all others with the rev problem...

Has it happened since you got the car or was it like it when you got it??

If it's happened since you got the car then I think we could rule out the canshaft theory BUT if it was like it from day 1 then you never know...

Adrian.

Paul w
10-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Oh Bu99er ade,
We were kinda hoping that would sort it. It points to a mechanical issue then, is the limit absolutley fixed? can you get a bit more out of it with a spray of damp start or the like? is it any different on 95 RON wrt 98 RON?

Is there anything like (dont laugh) vacumn advance on the beat? Steve - whats the Mtrec system based on, is it mechanical?

How many people have this issue??

PW

Steve_M
10-07-2004, 03:07 PM
Adrian

When you have some time to come down, we could try a swap of the complete inlet manifold/throttle body assembly/injectors/wiring harness, as i do have spares.

Other than that could be worth trying a couple of other bits. poss fuel pressures etc.

No Paul, no vacuum advance as such, but the map sensor and throttle position will effect ignition mapping etc.

Mtrec is just the throttle body assembly no mechanisms etc.

Its interesting that other Beats suffer from it, not just yours so its something happening rather than something that some one has done or not done

pnut
10-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Funny you should mention the throttle position in relation to engine mapping. Mine does have the throttle postion sensor code. Not sure where the sensor is or how to fix it, but is it possible this could be the reason for my 7250 rev problem

Steve_M
10-07-2004, 07:32 PM
This is where the TPS is located on the engine.

Steve_M
10-07-2004, 07:38 PM
The TPS sensor in more detail

A new TPS sensor is only available with a complete throttle body, so expect it to cost mega money.

pnut
10-07-2004, 10:54 PM
Thanks very much for the pics etc, I'll have a good look tomorrow. I had 2 other ecu codes and found a broken wire that fixed the 2 of them so fingers crossed it'll be the same for the TPS!!!!

Steve_M
11-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Price for Throttle body from Honda UK - £841.23 Ouch!!!

adrianp
11-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Steve_M
Price for Throttle body from Honda UK - £841.23 Ouch!!!

If it turns out to be that then I think I'll live with the problem...

Surely there are some markings on the sensor/switch that we can use to find an alternative???

Otherwise I think Oz might be having a few auction orders placed...

Thing is with mine, I'm not actually getting any error codes...

Adrian.

Steve_M
11-07-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Steve_M
Adrian

as i do have spares.

:D

Steve_M
11-07-2004, 07:39 PM
And as you said

Originally posted by adrianp
maybe I've got a couple of sensors that aren't working properly but the ECU thinks they are???

Means its not running right but with out having trouble codes because the sensor is still "in spec" but just not the correct one.

tinytim
14-09-2004, 08:53 PM
How are things going on this? Did you guys manage to get together and more importantly did you solve the rev limt problem?:bounce:

adrianp
14-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Hi Tim,

Nope I haven't managed to get down to see Steve yet... :rolleyes:

The thing is, I've had the fault since I got the car and have lived with it for so long that it's more of an annoyance rather than an actual problem...

Hopefully one day me and Steve will get together and fix it, it will probably be so simple that we end up kicking ourselves on why didn't we check that bit earlier...

Ady.

tinytim
14-09-2004, 09:26 PM
Hi Ade,

The reason I ask is that I have a complete TPS (inlet manifold, injectors, throttles the works) so if it solves the problem and you find you like having a top end closer to the 100mph mark let me know.

Tim