PDA

View Full Version : Engine check light

jonnyM
07-06-2004, 07:41 PM
hola peeps

I've had my red 92 Beat now for about 5 years. Love it! I bought it from a the main Belfast Honda Dealership, where i have had it regularly serviced.

Unfortunaly due to the extortionate price of Northern Ireland Car Insurance, my beloved Beat was of the road for a whole year....:(
(the only quote i could get was £1500 third party!!! no fire, no theft!!)

BUT.... a year later, £650 fully comp! whats that all about?

Back to my point... the car sat outside for that year, being run very infrequently. damp built up, and generally the car ended up in a terrable state. Once i had sorted out the insurance, got the car serviced, and put it through its mot. Happy days! Back on the road! But to my alarm, the engine cheak light started to come on, after driving for a few miles. took it back to the dealership, pointed it out and they aggreed to take another look.
Collected it again, same thing happend, took it back again, and they insisted that the sensor was damp, and that eventually it should dry out.

i have been driving it every day now for a year, in that time it has been serviced again, yet still the engine check light comes on!!!

Please can anyone tell me what the hell is happening.

Cheers Guys

*Jonnymiller

Adam
08-06-2004, 01:20 AM
Its damp?:confused:

Well if I were you I would take the matter into my own hands and see what’s up.

Take the engine panel off and look around for a yellow rubber cap. Connect the two terminals with a paper clip and turn the ignition on. Then count the amount of times the light flashes. Then get back to us.

barkley
08-06-2004, 07:00 AM
i no nothin bout the flash codes on em but if u dont fancy it im 9 mile from u im sure the others would help with the brains part lol

ozsamurai
08-06-2004, 11:38 AM
nice red paint job there Adam, should get one of those neat VTEC covers for it..Mmmmmm.....

What sensor? did they specifY?
My troubleshooting list on Sensor intermittent failures

1.Wiring irregularity (shortage, loose connection etc.) clean the connections make sure they are all on tight, throw a voltae meter on the line to check integrity if you can.
2. unit failure (dead, constant MIL ON) Malfuction Indicator Lamp, replace sensor.
3. ECU miss read (data being supplied to the ECU from the sensor is misread through voltage irregularity etc sometimes triggering MIL ON), check ECU board for signs of corrosion, especially the famous 6 condensers.
4. Water ingress?? Sounds like crap to me but if so, corrosion of the sensor, MIL ON would become more and more frequent over time and then eventual failure (see 2), air blow on the affected sensor if possible/ replacement if needed and then reset ECU

These are all the possible causes I could think of at this stage, not at all comprehensive but more than likely as the Beat is not exclusive when it comes to Hondas and this problem. I think I'll put a buck on No 3.

Cheers

Oz