PDA

View Full Version : Rear Calipers - MOT Fail

adrianp
11-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Well the car went for it's MOT today... and failed on the handbrake sticking on one of the calipers...

They have a feeling that it might be a replace the caliper job rather then a free off to fix job...

Does anyone know if the beat shares a rear caliper with a UK car???

If I can't get it fixed bt the weekend then unfortunately I won't be able to go to the meeting on Sunday... :mad:

Adrian

Paul w
11-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Hi Ade,
My fronts were corroded at the bottom of the piston. I got replacements from steve and then scotchbrite'd the cylinders to clean them up. I've not seen what holds the piston against the pad for the handbrake, but could the corosion at the bottom of the piston be causing it?

PW

adrianp
11-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Don't think so Paul, because they said the normal brakes are working fine...

They said the leaver on the caliper that moves when the handbrake is applied is sticking when it's released but if you tap the caliper/leaver it releases fairle easily.

Hopefully I will get away with them just cleaning the pivot up a bit...

Ady.

Paul w
11-05-2004, 08:25 PM
Just take it off and plaster it with copperslip, always worked on my fiesta!

PW

ozsamurai
12-05-2004, 06:00 AM
These MOT guys are as serious as a dose of the clap! Spray the crap out of there with some brake cleaner and light grease (Vaseline) or 5-56 the lever. I some times also like to put some graphite powder in these areas too before greasing, a hang over from my old skateboarding days! Hope you'll make it for your meet.

Cheers

Oz

Steve_M
12-05-2004, 07:14 AM
The most common cause for the rear caliper problems is that the spindle that the handbrake lever pivots on seizes, this allow the service brake to work (hydralic) but not the parking brake. A lot of time just plenty of WD40 and working it back and forward can free it off, but it can be difficult to get it down in as it has a seal just under the handbrake lever which is supposed to stop dirt getting it.

If the garage says it can be tapped back off then its not completely seized and there is hope that with applying handbrake and taping it off while lubing it may just work.

HTH

adrianp
12-05-2004, 07:18 AM
Ta Steve,

Just printed your reply off so that then can have a go at it when I take the car back this morning...

The anoying bit is thay they replaced the rear discs and pads the other week and told me everything was now working fine:rolleyes:

Hopefully it can be sorted this week otherwise the trip on sunday will be off...:mad:

Adrian.

Paul w
12-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Hopefully it can be sorted this week otherwise the trip on sunday will be off...

Or you will arrive early as your brakes aint working!

Best of luck with it ade!

PW

adrianp
12-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Paul w

Or you will arrive early as your brakes aint working!

That wasn't the problem Paul...

It was a case of it not releasing properly and getting rather hot... :eek: (hence new discs and pads the other week...)

Thanks to Steves message I printed out, they had a proper look at it this afternoon and it's all fixed and ready for the weekend...:bounce:

So, does anyone know what time we have to be there yet?? It's not like it's just down the road for me...

Adrian.

Andy V
12-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by adrianp
So, does anyone know what time we have to be there yet?? It's not like it's just down the road for me...

Great news on getting your Beat sorted :)

Looks like I'll be parting with the dosh for your spare wheels on Sunday after all! :rolleyes:

As of earlier today, I understand there are 110 car entrants, 40 bikes / scooters and about 80 buses (plus of course the Wedgwood Visitor Centre and its facilities too, and the factory tour for which I think there's a charge?). About 15 of the buses will be operating free rides at regular intervals during the day to and from the Gladstone Pottery Museum at Longton and to Stoke-on-Trent.

Pat will be driving our red Beat there, while I'm setting out a lot earlier to go to Uttoxeter to collect a bus and drive a few of the free services until about 1200ish, and again a bit later in the afternoon.

TTFN,

Andy.