PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Beat

jcs
28-04-2004, 11:31 AM
I'm posting this for Walter, who for some reason can't do so (can you help him with that, Paul?). His friend has a Beat in Switzerland and has suffered an engine blow-up (see his note below).

Please can you guys offer him advice on what to do next. His email address is: essekapa@bluewin.ch

Thanks
John

"Sorry, I am not able to put our request re defective Beat engine in Forum for much appreciated answers.
Here we go :
Lady owner of Beat (over)filled engine oil (2 Liter !), then engine after 2 km went bang.
We checked compression (1/6,7 bar; 2/3,0 bar; 3/6,8 bar), which is bad for cylinder 2.

Questions :
-To replace timing belt, engine has to be out of car ?
-Timing belt, valves (if necessary), plugs available ?
-We badly need copy of Repair Manual, can you e-mail ?
-Please explain how we enter Forum (already registered with name ESSEKAPPA).

Thank you for any help to restore this little Car.

Walter"

Paul w
28-04-2004, 12:09 PM
It could be that cookies are not enabled. I can see him as a registered user, so everything looks fine this end!

I can delete him if he wants to try again

PW

Jason
28-04-2004, 11:37 PM
If you need a workshop manual, I can post you out one (on CD). It is in Japanese but there are a lots of diagrams...(See Workshop Manual thread).

tinytim
29-04-2004, 11:22 PM
You could probably save yourself some time and money by doing a bit more diagnosis. Low compression could be a number of things including;
Bent con rod
Bent valve stems
Hole in piston
Blown cylinder head gasket.

From the compression test I would have to say probably not the head gasket as compression is too low. You don't necessarily get an external leak so check if the coolant hoses go hard or if oil is comming up the dip stick with the engine turning over.

I would also doubt the valves or a hole in the piston as the compression is too high. You could do a static pressure check to prove they are good

Which I'm afraid leaves you with a bent con rod.

This is diagnosis from a distance so is a poor substitute for being there. The best advice I can give is to do a static pressure check. You will be fairly sure after that.