PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem

Scooter
19-04-2004, 02:17 PM
My beat has started to not want to start :( About 3 months ago I got in and turned the key, expected the engine to purr into life but instead the lights dimmed but nothing happened. I tried this 4 times and on the 4th attempt it fired fine.

The car has been fine up until this weekend when the same thing happened twice.

All the correct lights come on, the engine primes (a whirring sound) and the lights flicker when you try to start the engine, but there is no turning of the engine. You can try this 3 – 6 times and eventually the engine turns over and it starts as normal.

I have had the fuel pump relay changed about a year ago (and the engine whirs) so I don’t think it’s the fuel pump relay.

To me it sounds like it’s the starting motor not working but has anyone else got any ideas? A friend said it could be the solenoid???? (haven’t a clue what one of these are!)

Any help in what is wrong, what parts I need, how much AND how to fit them would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any help offered

Scooter

And on another note, saw a blue (dark blue) Honda Beat around Junction 12 (Toddington) of the M1 last week, does it belong to any of you???

Adam
19-04-2004, 06:37 PM
Take it out. The smaller barrel has two wires attached to it. Disconnect them(you might need to desolder one of them). When you take it apart you will see a copper plate inside which is suppose to make a connection. What happens is that some times it burns out a little and losses the connection. Take the plate out and turn it upside down and put it back in. That should do it.

If not take the other one apart and check the brushes. They get worn out.

Or get one from Oz, it will be easier.

This is not a beat starter, just an example:

Hope it helps