PDA

View Full Version : More budget tune ups

Midship
16-04-2004, 12:43 AM
Yesterday I decided to take out the cat and bandage up the manifold, another two budget mods that I think are very worth while, the car feels more responsive and sounds a lot better, id say engine bay temperature has also been reduced.

The de-cat was fairly simple, once the exhaust and sensors were removed, I went happy with a hammer and thin metal bar (see pic) I know it not as good as a race manifold/downpipe but its a dam site cheaper! I also wrapped the manifold with some imitation asbestos rope which is used to insulate steam pipes etc. This mod was an necessity on my beat because when I purchases it, the heat shield was missing, even if you have the heat shield I would still recommend it. The heat insulating rope to cover the manifold is available for demon tweeks or similar and isn’t too expensive.

Midship
16-04-2004, 12:46 AM

Midship
16-04-2004, 12:52 AM

Adam
16-04-2004, 01:09 AM
I've driven the car and with two people, full tank of petrol, a soft-top and a hard-top on and it was still faster then mine. That has to say a lot for the mod.

tinytim
18-04-2004, 10:18 PM
Is that the cat that came with my exhaust?
Will you be fitting the temp sensor again?

Your exhaust is now fitted properly and sounds great, I've now sitted an MG type mesh on the back, looks good with the twin pipes.
I'll be knocking the middle out of the cat that came with it but I'll have the spare. Are you sure yours will pass an emmissions check?
All the best
Tim

rhs98
19-04-2004, 05:22 PM
If the car doesn't have a UK equivelient and is made pre 95, I think it does not do the CAT emissions test

Midship
19-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Hi Tim,

Yeah that’s the cat that came with your exhaust, I don’t think I will have problem with emissions last time the car was .05 or something and the legal limit for the year was 2.5! Glad to hear your happy with the exhaust, you should defo give a decat a go im sure you’ll feel the difference even with the performance exhaust. I haven’t connected up the cat temp sensor, it wasn’t connected up when I got the car so I just took out the warning bulb as far as I know runs separate from the ECU so it shouldn’t interfear with the running of the car.

The hardtops looking good ill post a pic when the respray is finished
:D

rhs98
20-04-2004, 09:02 AM
On my CRX it helped to reset the ECU after doing it - it forgets the stuff it has learned about your car, and relearns it with the new mods. Not sure it this is the same for Beats, would guess it is.

tinytim
21-04-2004, 02:08 AM
Hi Mick,
I was wondering if you were goint to refit the sensor or not. If your not using it anyway, is there any chance you could fit a blanking screw and send the sensor my way? I'd greatly appreciate it.