PDA

View Full Version : headlamp pattern for MOT

Mat
08-04-2004, 09:47 AM
Thought I'd cracked it

Car failed MOT on two things

1. Fog lamp not working ( wire had broke easy peasy )

2. headlamp bulb giving wrong pattern

Mot tester suggested bulb in upside down

Could well have been I smashed headlight and bought new one from OZ so thought I could have put it in wrong

Tried last night bulb can only go in one way as big tab at top
and two smaller tabs at bottom

So has anybody got any ideas

To be honest Im not even sure how you alter the aim on the headlamp but I cant of fitted it that badly as it's got to bolt in

Any suggestions appreciated as it's only this stopping me getting the car back on the road now

:help:

tinytim
08-04-2004, 04:53 PM
Mat,
This may be one that has come up before, the Beat has a flat headlight beam pattern i.e. it does not rise up tp the nearside. Some MOT testers are unfamilier with this but it is listed as acceptable in the manual. It is the last pattern mentioned called a British/American style.
Check it out here http://www.ukmot.com/manual/1-6.htm and if this is the pattern it is rejected for politely inform the inspector that your car has the British American beamset.

If this isn't it could you provide a bit more detail.
Tim

Mat
08-04-2004, 05:15 PM
Thanks Tim I tried the site but it's not that I think

The MOT tester has passed it last year and knows the beat is not spot on but he passes it anyway

but this time nearside headlamp is giving no pattern
i.e. it's not flat with a kick its just a blur of light and as I've
changed the headlamp in between MOT's I was thinking it was something I've done when I've refitted the new headlamp

I haven't tried changing the bulb yet perhaps it's got a fault or something as it came with the headlamp straight from Japan
so I just fitted it once I saw whether the bulb worked or not

cheers

tinytim
08-04-2004, 05:35 PM
Hmm, strange. The only things I can think of is that the reflector inside the light unit is very dirty/ lost it's surface or it's way off line.
The adjusters move only the reflector not the whole light unit there are 2 on each light. 1 half way up on the inside edge of the light unit and the other on the top outside edge of the headlight compartment.

OR it's the wrong bulb.

Best of luck

barkley
08-04-2004, 08:22 PM
go for the bulb 90 % of the time its it .

Paul w
09-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Is the bulb long enough? I seem to remember the beat ones have a long 'shaft' up to the filament, this would put it behind the center of focus of the reflector.

Steve will know.......

PW