PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt

Jason
06-04-2004, 11:45 PM
Hey Gang,

Still working away at my sisters car and yet more questions. I can't seem to find the thread about changing the cambelt. I have noticed that I can't get the timing right. Could this be the reason?

Regards

Jason

Paul w
07-04-2004, 01:01 PM
It could have jumped a tooth, but my timing was drifting in and out, and it turned out to be the cog on the end of the cam was loose. Its only an interference fit on some versions.

PW

Jason
09-04-2004, 12:53 AM
Hey Gang.

I was wondering if anyone could explain how to change the cambelt.

Regards

Jason

Steve_M
12-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Jason

I was wondering if anyone could explain how to change the cambelt.

in my opinion if you need to ask how to change a cambelt, the you should not be doing it, A cambelt on a Beat is quite involved, not for the faint hearted.

Jason
12-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Steve,

I think I am capable of changing the belt. I am very methodical and need step by step instructions to feel confident. I suspect that the current belt has been fitted incorrectly as I cannot get the timing correct which to me suggests that it has jumped a cog. There must be some way of lining up the belt relative to the sprockets. I have looked in the manual and can see where everything is but I cannot see the sequence to access or fit the belt clearly enough.

Regards

Jason

catbrad60
13-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to change the cambelt please? I have just booked in mine to be done but want an idea of hours needed to do work so I don't get ripped off!!
Also, are theer any parts I should get looked at during this operation? e.g distributor? I figure I might as well get it all checked over at the same time.

Cheers
Catherine

TADO
13-09-2006, 11:10 AM
hey catbrad
i had my car serviced just after i bought it about 3 months ago. i had all the filters, plugs and cambelt changed along with a lot of general tinkering and checking. they did a really great job and the car sounds much nicer now.
my local garage charged 200 quid for the job, although i bought the parts from my local honda dealer. the cambelt was about 35 quid if i remember rightly... :)
mike

Midship
13-09-2006, 11:48 AM
200 quid is a good price for the amount of work involved.

I wouldnt change a timing belt witout replacing the two roller barings and the water pump! Have a good look at the dizzy, if in doubt- have the baring chaged or replace the whole unit.

ozsamurai
08-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Jason,

Long time no see. I'm in Melb now permanently, drop us a line when you have the time.. Same for all you Aussie Beat owners, time to hot things up down under....ooohhh yyeah!!! Although Beatless still....doh!

Oz