PDA

View Full Version : ecu chip!!

sloppie
16-03-2004, 08:15 PM
hi everyone!

Fitted the ecu chips yesterday when they arrived. The difference is really good, it has a better top end speed (150ish) and its loads more responsive.
The chip took me approx 1.40mins to install (quite fiddly).

i love my beat even more!!!!!!!!!

steve:bounce:

cheers oz and adrian for sorting the chip out for me.

adrianp
16-03-2004, 08:22 PM
Excelent news...

I gather then the limiter has been removed??

I suppose that just means we have to watch the revs a bit...

Was it easy to fit, I mean, could an amature like me do it???

Adrian.

sloppie
16-03-2004, 08:32 PM
hi adrian,

Yes it has removed the limiter. it is quite a fiddly job. all the instructions were in japanese so you have pictures only to follow.
if you do attemp it be careful of the motherboard in the ecu because where the chips are installed you have to drill out all the solder holes (45ish!) and the soldering is quite good fun too!!
good luck my friend!!!

steve:D

adrianp
16-03-2004, 08:39 PM
Excelent,

If it removes the limiter then mine might actually go past 7250 at last...

It's about time I had a beat that would keep up with the rest.:o

I'll probably have one of the guys at wotk fit it for me, hopefully they can use a solder sucker to empty the holes without having to drill them out.

It will have to wait for a while though, got a few other things I want to do to the car first...

Ta

Adrian.

Spence100
17-03-2004, 06:55 AM
Cheers Adrian

Got mine yesterday!

All went fine, same sort of time to fit as steve.

The only difference was I use solder brade to clean out the pre soldered holes and replaced the six condensors at the same time.

As for the road test, oh yea! it has more torque, rev's faster, the rev limiter is not at 9000ish anymore (not found it yet):rolleyes: not sure if thats a good thing but hey eveyone has there limits & the speed limiter has also gone, it seems weird watching the needle go into the blank white space.

At least I don't get the cut-out feeling anymore when in the middle of overtaking!

Cheers Spence. :D

GARY SWINDEN
17-03-2004, 04:21 PM
Hmm.. think I'll have to invest in one of these, how much does it cost?

sloppie
17-03-2004, 05:04 PM
hi gary,
the chip cost £70 approx from oz (including postage!) oz sorted them out in japan then shipped them back. Adrian then posted them in the uk.

steve :D

GARY SWINDEN
17-03-2004, 05:23 PM
cheers for that, I'll get one ordered for the next box
Gary

Adam
19-03-2004, 12:49 AM
Ok I got to say it. I'm a little sceptical about the chip thing.

I'm sorry to say but in my opinion you guys are in a race to see who will blow their engine first! I can just see valves being bent, cambelts snapping and rings being fried.

But on a lighter note there will be lots of parts around :p

Just an opinion even if its not popular!

Steve_M
19-03-2004, 07:17 AM
Adam, you got there first!

I was just keeping quiet waiting for the bang.

see my message in forsale section, I have a spare engine that needs rebuilding ;)

Spence100
19-03-2004, 11:29 AM
Guy's

Steve, you being a Honda Mechanic know like I do that if you keep on the top of servicing etc Honda's are capable of a little extra!

The main reason was a little more torque for the hills and to remove the annoying speed restriction.:)

Still we all have our thought's hay!!!!:p

Spence

Midship
19-03-2004, 11:32 AM
I think the chips are a great idea if they change the fuel maps to give more torque etc, but i think i would still want the rev limiter. 9000 RPM is enough for me as i dont wanna be rebuild for a while!

1200RPM + 13yr old, 3 cyl engines = a piston in the back of your head i reckon LOL :)

sloppie
19-03-2004, 05:16 PM
hi everyone,

i'm a mechanic too!!! and i think the chip i have installed in my beat has been the best thing i done to it.

you just have to be careful not to overrev the ickle engine. lol.

anyway hi steve m did you ever manage to get hold of some sunvisors????? from about 2 years ago???when we met at a race meeting??(remember??)

steve

Paul w
20-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Is it a project A one?
Tell us more Mr sloppie sir!

PW

adrianp
20-03-2004, 12:36 PM
Hi Paul,

Yep it's a Project A one, it came over in the last shipment from Oz.

Adrian.

sloppie
20-03-2004, 04:39 PM
hi again,

yea a project A chip, not sure what that means!! i haven't any data on it.

steve.

does anyone know how much brake this chip gives the beat??
i'm very impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

adrianp
20-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Not sure about the BHP but the translated auction page mentions the following

* Because with the meter reading 160km/h it reaches the point where speed appears, when surpassing with the circuit
The limiter being effective, it is gone that it cannot omit. In addition, when it is usual travelling, it is not different from normal
Because, to be tend, there is no either fuel economy low in tuning ROM.
(Being to be a beat individual difference, preservation it is not something which is proven)

Typical Jap Engrish...lol

But it basically looks like it will allow the beat to go from 140kph to 160kph and also allows it to rev past 9000rpm...

But it looks like it won't work on the version 'Z' for some reason.

Hope this helps

Adrian.

Steve_M
20-03-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Spence100
Guy's

Steve, you being a Honda Mechanic know like I do that if you keep on the top of servicing etc Honda's are capable of a little extra!

Mmmm exactly, and one of the reasons i sold my beat, having had the engine fail twice. Its just not up to it!!! not even in a standard state of tune.

Steve_M
20-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by sloppie

anyway hi steve m did you ever manage to get hold of some sunvisors????? from about 2 years ago???when we met at a race meeting??(remember??)

steve

I do remember, those sun visors got lost between Japan and here, along with quite a lot of other stuff I bid on.

Best just get Oz to get you some if you still need them.

Cheers

sloppie
21-03-2004, 03:18 PM
hi

ok, cheers steve m

tinytim
21-03-2004, 08:14 PM
But it looks like it won't work on the version 'Z' for some reason

Does anyone know why this is or is it that it simply hasn't been tested yet?

I've got my engine (thanks Oz & Fahd) the pistons are en route, (I hope. Adrian?) So i should have a 700cc Beat for the summer so a 700 un-restricted Beat would be ideal but mine is a Version Z. I guess I could change the whole ECU but where do I get one?

adrianp
21-03-2004, 08:26 PM
Hi Tim,

I'm not sure why, it just says that on the auction page...

Your pistons are on the way, Check your private messages for details.

Adrian.

Steve_M
21-03-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by tinytim
mine is a Version Z. I guess I could change the whole ECU but where do I get one?

The parts listing only shows a differant ecu for the 110 chassis range version Z, so if yours is a 100 chassis range it would more than likely have an ecu with part no ending in 000, but then if you order a new ecu the part has superseeded to the later type 003 any how, so there can't be that much differance, perhaps the 003 ecu board wont accept the chip.

HTH

tinytim
21-03-2004, 10:27 PM
Hmmmmm! Only one way to find out I guess.
Pistons first, ECU second, blow the whole lot up and start again.

ozsamurai
22-03-2004, 02:34 AM
Hi All,

I'm back from the holiday in Australia, too short and too damn busy it was. Anyway on the chip, the guy who makes these chips has had his running in his car for over a year before putting it on the market, it is race track proven. This in no way is to say that ANY addtional load on the Beat engine is a positive thing. Yes Honda does program its ECU with a 'standard' MAP, in the Beats case 2 of them actually, that errs on the side of caution as it has to meet market usage conditions, as well as a host of other requirements. Installation of the chip is a fairly harmless addition for those with a need for a little boost, but if you go driving your Beat around in the Red Line 'cause you can now, you are going to blow it up! (Steve has the engine waiting for you). The discussion on the VerZ....... The maker has not installed it in a VerZ is all...therefore he can not guarantee it will A) work and B) perform as it's supposed to. As you all know the Ver Z was nearly a complete re-work of the entire Beat, by the time they had reached the last model they had sorted out all the bugs in the ECU program, this may in fact be why he is not prepared to accept responsibility for anyone using it in a VerZ and therefpre says you can't....whereas in fact in all likelyhood you could. As for valve bending, trashing your camshaft etc... that's really up to the way you abuse your new found ECU power really I feel! Mines been chipped for a while now and I have to say I enjoy not having to eat dust every now & then when the need arises.

Paul W already has the translated instructions which I made for him mid last year, if anyone needs those then probably post to him.

Cheers All

Oz