PDA

View Full Version : rust problems

moby
19-02-2004, 09:00 PM
its MOT time and my 92 beat is showing signs of structural rust on both cills. Any ideas, are there panels available or even better repair sections?Live by the sea you see.

ozsamurai
20-02-2004, 07:21 AM
Moby,

Unfortunately, the sills are a part of the chassis, welded to the back quarter panel as well, the best way to get around the problem would be with an angle grinder and a good welder. Depending on the severity of the rust. either cut the panel clean off and replace it from a wrecker or alternatively cutting the affected sections away and welding a plate in from behind. Neither job is an enviable task! if you are reffering to the bottom of the doors, then outer panels (skins) can be bought and fitted, again a wrecker or genuine parts. Hope this helps somehow

Cheers

Oz

Steve_M
20-02-2004, 06:43 PM
Depending on how much work/how much money you want to spent depends on the out come.

rear quarter panels are available and so are complete sill panels, but they would involve a fair amount of work to actually replace.

If the rust is in the actual sill then you would have to cut away some of the quarter panel to replace that part, other wise cutting away the rust and welding in plates etc and making good would prob be the best option.

HTH

Steve_M
20-02-2004, 06:54 PM
I did a rear quarter panel on my project beat, because it was damaged, was not a too bad a job to do, just a lot of spot weld to be drilled out.

there was rust in the area marked which had gone through the quarter panel and into the sill, i cut away the sill and welded some plating in which then was covered by the new quarter panel.

a new quater panel is £257 for R/h and £176 for L/h