PDA

View Full Version : What Distance Have You Covered In Your Beat?

Fahd
31-01-2004, 03:35 AM
Hi,

Recently, I had to travel down to London from Bolton (Lancs).
Anyway, although I wanted to take my Beat. I was paranoid for some reason that it wouldnt do the car much good making a 220 mile trip there (ok, to be honest I didnt think it would reach London!)
I eventually ended up taking the train! Have to go down to London in Feb again. Really want to take the Beat down.
Please vote! It would be nice to see whats the most amount of ground the Beat drivers here have covered at any one time!
My personal best has been a trip to Blackpool which is only around 35 miles!

Cheers!
Fahd

Andy V
31-01-2004, 07:35 AM
Fahd,

Since we bought our Beat in August last year she's made the following long(ish) trips:

Doncaster - Gillingham, Kent (205 miles): 3 times.
Doncaster - Uttoxeter - Matlock - Doncaster (180+ miles): Day trip.
Doncaster - Crich - Matlock - Doncaster (120+ miles): Day trip.

In addition to loads of local moves.

No problems and great fun (though it helps to have a stop to get out and walk around at least once on a long journey!).

Hope this helps,

Andy & Pat.

adrianp
31-01-2004, 08:23 AM
Hi Fahd

I've often used mine for fairly long trips, I think the longest I've done was about 160 miles each way when we did the Derbyshire charity event.

The only problem I have had was a slightly sticking brake caliper but even that wasn't a real problem...

I'd say go for it but just don't forget the congestion charge if you go into the centre....

Adrian.

P.S.

If you take it fairly easy then you should be able to get close to 50mpg whilst your at it...

Steve_M
31-01-2004, 09:22 AM
210 miles home to Chatsworth house (charity weekend)

160 miles home to Castle Combe (track day) (and home again in a day)

peterknowles69
31-01-2004, 11:51 AM
Hi all,

The first journey in our beat was picking her up from the docks in southampton. Very scary as we had only ever seen the auction sheet from japan. Southampton to Worcester for just over £6.00 of fuel! Fantastic!.

Also have toured the mountains of mid wales and of course a trip to Northampton.

No problems reported yet !

Pete & Sue

jcs
01-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Terry, an ex-member of the UKHBC twice did the round trip to a car event in northern France from the midlands. Not sure of the mileage but probably one of the higher single trips here - and no problems experienced (apart from being nerfed by a double-decker bus in France!)

Ouija
01-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Well I think I win.

I drove the car back to scotland after picking her up in Basingstoke! in total about 550 miles in 24 hours! and to be honest i was laughing all the way home! fantastic!

Love driving this little baby.

Ouija

Jason
02-02-2004, 07:35 PM
I drove my car from Melbourne to Wangaratta and back in a day. It is a trip of approximately 500km. My dad needed a lift to buy a MGB. Go figure...:)

tinytim
09-02-2004, 07:22 PM
I drive my Beat from Bridgend to Poole on every free weekend I get. it's about 260 return and not a hic-up yet. It's not the best car for motorway use but hit the a and b roads and it's more than happy.