PDA

View Full Version : Hi Every1

Jennifer
02-12-2003, 05:29 PM
Hi

Ive been looking for a beat for a while and after reading through this forum for a while behind enemy lines lol, Im finally going to take the plunge and get 1.

But I need to know a few things as I want to modify it slightly once I get it.

What I would like to know is what tuning options are engine wise for the beat, mugen ecu, manifold etc? I know style wise it can be anything after seeing Gary's car but what kits can I get from japan, mugen etc?

Jenni

adrianp
02-12-2003, 05:36 PM
Hi Jen,

Firstly welcome to the group, as you have probably worked out, we're a friendly bunch and always happy to help out.

Tuning the beat is a bit limited over here because the car wasn't officially sold here but in Japan there are quite a number of bits available.

Our 'Man in Japan' (Oz) can get almost anything that is available as long as you are prepared for the shipping costs... (shipping from Japan isn't too bad as long as it's not too heavy...)

I'm sure Oz will see this and reply but if you go to his home page, http://members.lycos.co.uk/ozsamurai , it gives some details of the service he has been giving us for a while.

I hope this helps for a start

Adrian.

Jennifer
02-12-2003, 06:11 PM
Hey

Yeah I did notice you are all well nice people. Well I know Im being optimistic when I say this but I want to tune my beat so its does a sub 10 sec 0-60 and can get to 115mph. I dont mind spending a bit of money to do this but I will have ask Oz about this (please help me!!!:help: )

Styling wise I dont want anything OTT in your face, I like what Gary has done to his car and it is really good example of what you can do. But I want to go for the more Race, Street Sleeper look.

I hope Oz can help me as I have so many ideas and questions!! ;)

Jen

adrianp
02-12-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Jennifer
Hey

Yeah I did notice you are all well nice people. Well I know Im being optimistic when I say this but I want to tune my beat so its does a sub 10 sec 0-60 and can get to 115mph. I dont mind spending a bit of money to do this but I will have ask Oz about this (please help me!!!:help: )

The sub 10 0-60 shouldn't be that hard, but the 115mph will be the hard one...

87mph is approx 7,500rpm in 5th (I think, Anyone??) )so working out from that, 115mph would be close to 10,000rpm I think (ouch)

Now I'm not saying that it's impossible but SteveM knows all about over reving a beat engine (had to rebuild his after a wrong slotted downchange at a track day), it's not good but there are strengthened valve springs etc available that mean it's possible to rev the engine past it's normal redline.

I'll have a look later and post a few links up for you to places in Japan.

Adrian.

Jennifer
02-12-2003, 06:25 PM
Tahnks Adrian your a Star!!! I read from an old post that Feel do a uprated head and cam etc??

Midship
02-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Hi and welcome jenni

I reckon wit a de cat exhaust, chip and induction you would be under 10 secs. As for the 115 MPH I don’t think it would be possible without the engine kit.

As for body kits the mugen is my favourite, some of backyard`s bits look the biz too!

Jennifer
02-12-2003, 07:06 PM
Hey John

Well thing is I know the beat is pretty nippy anyway but I do like a bit of top end speed soemtimes.

I think Im going to be saving for a while if I want all the kit bits I want, just been lloking at Oz's site for ages and there is a lot of nice styling I want on there plus a tasty set of alloys.

Jenni

adrianp
02-12-2003, 08:17 PM
Hi Jen,

Here's a few links for you, I use the first one as a translation service, it's pretty good at it's job, you just cut & pasts the relevent address, then chose the right language and away you go...

Translator (http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr)

Honda Twin Cam (http://www.hyperaxel.com/hondatwincam/HIGHLIGHTS/BEAT/index.html#null)

RSMach (http://www.rsmach.com/)

Cozy-Lights (http://www.cozy-lights.net/)

Kens Mode (http://www.kens-mode.com/index2.html) (In English)

Torque Developments (http://www.tdi-plc.com/Hondabeat.html) (In English)

Also there is this one (if it works) which is the Jap stuff available at auction that Oz helps us get

Auction stuff (http://search.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search?sb=desc,cat&desc=%a5%db%a5%f3%a5%c0++%a5%d3%a1%bc%a5%c8&cat=0&auccat=0&acc=jp&f=0x92&alocale=0jp&mode=1) (doesn't work through the trnslator very well though)

I hope this lot keeps you busy for a while

Adrian.

tinytim
03-12-2003, 12:55 AM
Hi Jen,

I'm going for the feels kit http://www.hondatwincam.co.jp/e/catalog/beat/engine.html

This should give you what you're looking for aswell, the re-chipped ecu takes off all the imposed limits so the engine should rev all the way through to 10k plus.

The larger pistons should give the improved acceleration and then it's on to get a de-cat full bore exhaust to pick up a bit of extra performance.

It's a bit expensive but it's quality gear (so I'm told), if you fancy waiting a few months I'll let you know how it goes.

Tim

Jennifer
03-12-2003, 09:36 AM
Tim

That feel tune up gear looks real good, just had a quick look on the link and I want loads of stuff from there!! lol :rolleyes: Worked it out to that if I got all the bits I wanted then I could probably buy another 1 or 2 beats lol

Jenni

ozsamurai
04-12-2003, 04:55 AM
OZ here!

Hmmm where to start..... Adrian is too kind with his praise, there are far more worthy people on the forum to give advise as well as me though. (blushes:p)

With the kind of mods you are talking about (major body work, ECU chipping, etc) I strongly advise you get a Beat in Japan, get it modified to your hearts content and then have it shipped to you. I can organize that for you if you wish. The reasons being of course, shipping bits and pieces all add up and you could end up costing yourself alot more by doing it that way when dealing with sizeable parts, and the condition of the Beats in Japan are a deal better than those in the UK because of dodgy work performed by inexpreienced dealers/backyard mechanics it seems is a common tale. Little bits and pieces are not that much of a hassle now that the Big Box is in action?!

Another thing to bear in mind is that MY Beat will be coming up for sale as of May next year after the Meet The Beat (UUKHBC Exclusive announcement!) alot of the ground work has been done on that already and will make a good buy even if I do say so myself!

Go fast racing Beats, sleek and low.....my reccomends

down sus
TM garage Side steps
Backyard special bonnet
Feels front & Rear Spoiler & hard top if you can afford it although you lose the 'open car' function.
Cozy Light air intakes
FGK Legalis 4 pipe muff or the Aria Center twin pipe
For a boot lid, the ducktail on the BYS is nice, but I still am keen on the genuine spoiler.
Wheels can be seen on the auctions and they are no prob to find for the Beat. But to get that PHAT look you should go out to 16" front and rear, which you are more likely to find in Japan as the offset is pretty difficult to match OS. I think Gary went to 17"? I am running 15" 185/55/15 on the back with the down sus. Anyway there's a whole page dedicated to it on the site, you can see all the variations front & back.

Another advantage of getting your mods done over here is the unwanted parts can always be sold back through the Auctions to help pay for some part of the mods!:D

Anyway hope this helps.....

Cheers

OZ

adrianp
04-12-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by ozsamurai
Another thing to bear in mind is that MY Beat will be coming up for sale as of May next year after the Meet The Beat (UUKHBC Exclusive announcement!)

Does this mean you're leaving the Beat scene Oz, or are you just getting another one to play with instead???

I do like the idea of getting one modified over in Japan before shipping it to the UK, it makes a lot of sense when you think about it...

If I ever decide to change mine then that might be something I'd consider doing... But after getting the FTO this year, I don't think it will be that soon...

Adrian.

ozsamurai
04-12-2003, 07:33 AM
Absolutely not, I am the founding member of Beats Anonymous, you were right with the second guess, I want one more to play with, and my wife (through constant brainwashing) has said she might like one too! 2 Beats to play with, heaven, to wit, the Bond Beat will be up for sale after the MTB. I'll put up a post later on in the picture, looking around 4500GBP well under the value of the options on it but hey thats the nature of the beast hey Paul? Adrian? Adam? Gary? Fahd? and the list goes on....hehehehehe!

Cheers
Oz

adrianp
04-12-2003, 05:48 PM
Glad to hear it Oz,

Having 2 beats to play with, Sounds like heaven...:p

I doubt that you will have much trouble selling your current one but if you do, you could always give that one to your wife to get her started and then have a blank canvas to work with on your new one....

As for Beats Anonymous, Can I join??? although I suppose asking on here isn't that anonymous really is it...:p

Adrian.

Adam
04-12-2003, 05:57 PM
Hi Jen and welcome!

I think that if you want a fast car then you should buy one but if you want a fun car then buy a Beat. The Beat is a nippy town car and not a motorway supercar. Its like trying to make Ferarri out of a Micra.

You got to keep in mind that the engine is only 660cc and the cars are not new. With that in mind if you start putting performance parts on it it might not prove to be as reliable as it is at the moment.

I heard of a guy who is fitting a third engine into his Cappuccino because he keeps blowing them. He went a little over the top with mods.

Ok if the car is 2l and it revs go up to 5,000RPM them do what you like cause it can take it but somehow I don't think a Beat will be up to the job. Unless the engine is brand new.

Just an opinion

Steve_M
04-12-2003, 07:05 PM
My thoughts exactly Adam, thus why I am now Beatless and have gone all Norfolk!!

Paul w
04-12-2003, 07:14 PM
Hello Jenifer,
Welcome aboard, member 200!!!

I'd give up on your top end speed dreams (i'm not that sure i'd want to be doing 115mph in a beat anyway!)

The 0-60 should be fairly easy though, as described, plus dont forget to use 98RON fuel, not that 95RON muck that most 'normal' cars run on!

Get the weight down and the power up a bit, and you'll be fine

PW

Jennifer
04-12-2003, 07:53 PM
Thanks for your opinions people i really appreciate them.

Well The thing is I only go on the motorway twice a week and thats it the rest is town / city centre driving. I think I will be concentrating on style side more and getting it de resticted 1st then I will go nuts with the feel goodies.

OZ I will be contacting very soon about some stuff and please keep your ideas coming in I appreciate them all.

I already seen which styling bits I want from OZ's site just need to identify who makes them!!

Jenni