PDA

View Full Version : Cam Change

Paul w
27-11-2003, 11:40 AM
Well,
Having thrown far too much money at rebuilding this beat, we finally got to the timing adjustment, and we couldnt get it stable!

Turns out that the cog at the end of the cam is loose (just an intereference fit!) and keeps drifting a few degrees back and forth!

The newer ones are pegged apparently, but any ideas on how big a job it is to change it? (steve is there an easy way to fix this? my garage is talking about cleaning it up and loctite'ing it back on..)

HELP!!

I could have bought a good one for what i spent on it!! lol

(well almost!)

The parts i've bought are now worth more than the car!

PW:suicide:

Steve_M
27-11-2003, 09:16 PM
To be honest I cant really see this being so.

Do you mean the pulley for the cambelt or the drive for the distributor.

Cambelt pulley thats held on with a bolt and a key way, so should not be a prob if its tightened up properly.

The drive for the distributor is part of the camshaft it self, i cant see any way that that could be loose! not with out coming completly off. (but a new camshaft would be the only cure)

Paul w
28-11-2003, 01:04 PM
Its the end that drives the dizzy. Apparently its an interference fit on the end of the cam (a tight one, but still a seperate part)

I'll know a bit more when i get my hands on it on saturday. We are going to attempt a repair by drilling and pegging the face of the gear.

If not, i'll get a cam direct from japan, as they are half the uk price

PW

Paul w
29-11-2003, 02:38 PM
Heres the offending cog!

It just pops off now, its that loose.

I'm hoping to drill down the face of the gear, so i get half a hole (???) in the camshaft and half in the gear so i can tap in a peg to stop it twisting.

PW

Midship
01-12-2003, 02:24 PM
Hi paul

My car had the same problem when the dizzy failed-the cog broke off. i replaced it with a new honda one... ill have a look for the invoice and check the price for you. dose you dizzy turn freely? is your dizzy one of the faulty ones? i cant imagine why it could have simply come lose.

Midship
01-12-2003, 02:26 PM
Just had a look at my cog and theres a hairline crack in it. I would recommend a replacement shaft- I don’t know if id trust sticking it back on

Paul w
01-12-2003, 06:07 PM
I think its had a seized dizzy at some point, but i've replaced it now anyway, as it had an oil leak. I've also replaced the dizzy housing as this was cracked. I can get a new cam from japan (in the big box) for around £150, but they are 350 ish in the uk!

I'll know in a day or two if its repairable (good old dad!)

The new camshafts have a keyway and peg design, so it is unlikely to happen again.....however a seized dizzy with this design is going to kill the engine, whereas with the old type it just popped the cog off......

PW

Midship
02-12-2003, 06:57 PM
Hi paul

Just found my invoice, the genuine honda cam shaft cost me

232+ vat@21% = 280 euro
Less 10% discount = 252 euro

Thats £175 GBP i Purchase it from my local Honda Dealer here in Dublin. There seems to be a big difference in the price of this part between ireland and the uk :confused:

Midship
02-12-2003, 06:57 PM
Hi paul

Just found my invoice, the genuine honda cam shaft cost me

232+ vat@21% = 280 euro
Less 10% discount = 252 euro

Thats £175 GBP i Purchase it from my local Honda Dealer here in Dublin. There seems to be a big difference in the price of this part between ireland and the uk :confused: best off geting it in the big box or giving me a shout and ill pick you up one over here!