PDA

View Full Version : engine cut out

nic
14-11-2003, 03:48 PM
After driving for approx 2 miles engine cut out and no power at busy junction. Engine wouldn't restart - could hear fuel pump kicking in but just wouldn't start. Left boot and fuel cap open for about 10 mins - maybe too hot - but still nothing. Managed to push car to safe place. Battery dead now.
After reading previous posts of non starting everything seems to point at fuel relay - but I can hear the pump.
Any ideas why it should die??
Had problem with starting before - thanks to Steve_M for help - it turned out to be faulty Immobiliser that time.
As soon as battery recharged I shall go and see if she starts again.
Any help appreciated - always an adventure driving the beat - never know if you'll make it home agin!

adrianp
14-11-2003, 06:09 PM
Few extra questions that might help people...

What sort of speed were you doing when it cut out?

Is the engine turning over or is it doing nothing?

If it's turning over, is it turning over quicker than normal?

Lastly, what sort of mileage has it done and has the Cambelt been changed??

Hopefully it will be an easy fix but unfortunately you never know....

Adrian.

nic
14-11-2003, 06:27 PM
thanks for reply:
Been to collect car - started first time!

when cut out:
speed approx 5mph, slowing down at junction
turning over but not starting
not sure if quicker or not?
mileage just over 100,000 km
cambelt changed last year

I've only had it about 7 months only used for short trips at weekends and it hadn't been driven for about 2 weeks before today.

When first got it refused to start when engine warm -
had 'air downpipe to throttle body' cleaned.

Then faulty immobiliser.

expensive little motor

adrianp
14-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Glad it started ok,

I was just hoping that the cambelt hadn't snapped on you.... Mine came with a bill for £1200 when I bought it due to that happening....(ouch)

Have you had the fuel filter changed?? You might have filled up with some dirty fuel and it could be starting to clog up...

I had that happen on one of my other cars, you had to tap the filter and then let it settle before it could start in the end... Much better once it had been changed though.

The only other bit I suppose is the battery/altenator??

Does it seem to be charging OK??

Hopefully, now it's started, it will never do it again and will just remain a mystery. But unfortunately with these cars, you never know what will happen next.

Adrian.

nic
14-11-2003, 07:04 PM
not too sure about the battery/altenator as I don't do many miles. If I don't disconnect the battery, a week later the battery needs recharging.

Haven't changed fuel filter since I've owned it - can't see it mentioned on previous bills. Forgive my lack of knowledge in these areas but is it something I can change easily or is it a garage job?

thanks
nigel

nic
14-11-2003, 07:15 PM
just searched forums for fuel filters found details for changing it - I think I'll take to the garage and get them to change it.