PDA

View Full Version : Knock Knock....

adrianp
12-09-2003, 05:37 PM
Hi All,

Drove my Beat to work today (I think it knows the route on it's own by now...) and it has decided to start knocking when turning left..

I can't exactly hear it (exhaust is too loud...lol) but you can feel it through the steering wheel, But only when turning left... :confused:

It's now done close to 110,000km so I am expecting things to wear out but not sure what it might be (wheel bearing possibly??)

Any ideas??

Adrian.

Steve_M
13-09-2003, 03:23 PM
It could be quite a few things, nothing perticuliar springs to mind.

Steering/suspension joints. Problem with brakes/pads. Wheel loose.

Worth just jacking up and checking for any play etc. hold the wheel top and bottom and see if anyplay, and also left and right movement.

Can you identify where abouts its coming from??? rough area??

On bumps or rhytmic with wheel rotating???

adrianp
13-09-2003, 05:37 PM
Hi Steve,

Seems to be fairly rythmic but only there when I'm turning left...

I haven't had time to look at anything today but hopefully I'll be able to tomorrow...

I'll post an update on anything I find

Adrian.

Midship
13-09-2003, 09:22 PM
This might sound stupid because the beat is RWD but could it be a CV joint? I noticed my CV joint rubbers were worn away when I was doing my rebuild. When the rubbers breaks the grease gets out & crap gets in and the joint gets worn and starts knocking etc so its important to replace damage rubbers. The CV joint rubber for a Micra fits the beat nicely and are very inexpensive.

Probably not the problem, as you can feel it through the steering wheel. I just thought id mention it because a friend with a mr2 had a knocking problem for ages and he only recently found out it was a CV joint! It’s worth checking the condition of your rubbers anyhow. I know Paul, Adam and I all had broken rubbers :bounce:

adrianp
14-09-2003, 06:11 PM
Ta for that John,

I had a quick look at them and they seem ok but I'll look properly when I get a chance to...

Well I've checked this lot and they all seem ok to me...

Wheel nuts (all 4 wheels)
Suspension top mounting nuts (especially since fitting the strut braces...)
Wheel bearings for play (nothing that I can see/feel)
Track rod end threads all look the same with no new metal showing
Wheels run nice and smooth in the air (although you do get a flat spot on the tyre when the cars been standing...lol)

So it's a bit of a puzzle at the moment...

Looks like it might be going to the garage that work uses for them to have a poke around...

Any other ideas anyone

Adrian.

adrianp
24-09-2003, 05:34 PM
:o OOPS :o

Car is all fixed... cost me a grand total of £20

Ended up being a great lump of tar had stuck to the inside edge of the passenger front tire which was hitting the ground when I turned left and also throwing the wheel out of balance when driving at speed...

Don't quite know how I missed it when I did the quick check before I took it to the garage but they test drove it, cleaned the tar off and balanced all 4 wheels for my £20 so I deff. can't complain...

The only down side though was, when I went out to the car this morning, I discovered that a stone had hit the drivers side mirror glass last night and broken it.. I am guessing that nothing actually hit the car as there's no marks on the actual mirror..

Oh well, I supose since the glass is hard to get hold of, it gives me an excuse to change the mirrors to the ones Paul found.

Adrian.:suicide:

peterknowles69
24-09-2003, 07:45 PM
Hi Adrian,

You can get a replacement glass from halfords, its the same as the ford KA.

Hope this helps

Pete & Sue

adrianp
24-09-2003, 07:54 PM
Excelent,

Ta for that, At leased I can get it fixed and then decide wether to go for the replacement ones later

Adrian.

Paul w
25-09-2003, 11:22 AM
I have an original spare glass too, if you need it!

PW

adrianp
25-09-2003, 08:44 PM
Hi Paul,

I might take you up on that,

PM or E-mail me what you want for it and I'll let you know after I've seen how good a fit the one from Halfords will be.

Adrian.

adrianp
29-09-2003, 07:01 AM
Well my mirror now has a temporary fix on it,

Thanks for the tip on the KA mirror Peter, it fits pretty well compared to what's fitted originally so it will do untill I work out what I want to do about a premanent fix....

And at only £6.49 it wasn't expensive either....

Adrian.

peterknowles69
29-09-2003, 05:17 PM
No problems adrian, glad to be of help.