PDA

View Full Version : Urgent.....help!!!!!!

Fahd
26-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Hello All,

I am in need of some urgent help from the Beat Techies on here. Just got the Beat 2 weeks ago and whilst I'm busy checking mods for the car little did I know it was going to die out on me!

Anyway here comes the story (many thanks to those who read it!)
I was driving a few days ago from Preston back to Bolton, when the car started missfiring. Anyway, it started to lose power. I pulled up on the hard shoulder. Switched the car off and restarted. Anyway, sfter a little driving on the motorway I pulled up again on the Hard shoulder (this time it hadnt lost power) when I tried restarting. Nothing! The engine was turning but no start.

I then rang up the AA (had a bit of an amusement btw. DVLA swansea have my car classified as a 'Convertible motorcycle' figure that one out!) The chap from the AA checked for sparks and after much work told me he thinks the coil's playing up. We towed her home. We got home and changed the spark plugs still no luck.

I got an Auto electrician this afternoon to have a look. He checked the coil and dizzy. His diagnosis is as follows:

There is power to the coil and out of the coil. Also the dizzy seems to be working fine. Sometimes sparks are given off when the engine is turned and other times, not.

He reckons the ECU is playing up and not giving ignition and suggested a reset of the ECU (??) He didnt have equipment to check the ECU. The engine however, is turning.

The car has been in the family for over 5 years now and shes never been naughty before. Thought I'd drive her to my b day party this Friday. Take it will be the micra now:(.
Any help would be MOST appreciated.

A VERY unhappy
Fahd

:confused

ozsamurai
27-08-2003, 04:31 AM
Happy Birthday for Friday!

Anyway..if you have intermittent siganls to the dist, then that's a whole problem on its own, the center shaft/bearing is a know issue for the Beat, and was covered under warranty by Honda here in Japan, its a fairly visible problem though, see the Known Issues page on my site for a damaged one. Assuming that the dist is OK for the moment...loss of power sounds fuel related to me, have you checked the fuel filter,pump etc. If the 'problem happened when the car was hot there is also a chance of a faulty main relay,which causes starting problems and is also well known as a culprit for all sorts of hassles. I think doing a reset on the ECU would be advised anyway, there is a post on the board about it already. For trouble shooting I would go mechanical first and then electrical. Have you chcked the ECU condenser condition? anyway hope this gives you a direction to work with, probably Wizard Steve will be able to shed some more light!

Cheer

Oz