PDA

View Full Version : Radiator R & R

steveinjapan
11-10-2016, 04:30 PM
I haven't had to do much to my Beat in the 6 years I've driven it, so maybe my mechanical chops are rusty and the toolbox a bit sparse. I bought a lovely aluminum radiator and assumed (based on other cars) it would take about an hour to swap it in. So what's with the upside-down mounting bolts? It looks like I need about a 40-cm extension to get the top bracket loose from underneath the car?. And the 2 lower brackets require the plastic tray removed? What else am I in for? (I also discovered that I bleed a lot easier than I used to thanks to blood thinners.)

Steve in Okinawa

steveinjapan
20-10-2016, 09:34 AM
My pretty new radiator.....

I thought it would be lighter than the OEM but that weighs next to nothing, and with the much larger coolant capacity of the new one, I probably gained a pound or two.

Dirk Schooner
17-01-2017, 06:12 PM
Does look good, I've just ordered one of these from Japan, going to wait until it gets a bit warmer to fit it though, bought it now before the British pound drops any lower.

Thought it was a good idea, when I removed the spare wheel plate and realized just how much damage a pigeon I hit 2 summers ago did to my radiator. It's run fine but I might fit some kind of grille in future...

steveinjapan
18-01-2017, 02:37 PM
Grilled pigeon! Wow, all the decomposition products sure cleaned the copper. It must have smelled a bit off though.