PDA

View Full Version : Google Translate App

gymm
17-01-2015, 09:52 PM
Disregard if you know it but the Android / IOS version stunned me.
Download it to your phone.
Select the translation you want. (eg Japanese to English) Hold the phone over the text and select the translator's camera function. It takes a picture and scans for the text. You then rub your finger over the words it finds to highlight them and it translates it! I did it on Beardon's site (http://www.beardon.org/honda_beat_files_7.html) with the Beat's workshop manual scans which has pictures but Japanese writing. It translated it! (well the bit I tried) Of course there will be gafs but from understanding nothing to over 95% isn't bad. There are pages and pages of pdf but you can translate the part you want I guess. I was well impressed. I know of the real time typing translator from Google but this is ideal for pdfs etc. (Menus abroad too) My Beat has quite a few internal Honda stickers in Japanese on the bodywork and I will try them out too.

hardath14
19-01-2015, 01:43 PM
The latest version has begun live translation, but its not yet available for Japanese. This is whereby you look at the text through the live camera and i shows the translation live. I am really impressed.

steveinjapan
20-01-2015, 11:30 AM
I think it might have Japanese now because some gaijin hare have posted about it.