PDA

View Full Version : Autocross...mandatory coolant drain. Help!

unclejemima
28-07-2014, 10:05 PM
I'm going to autocross my beat for the first time ever...only they want me to drain my coolant and change it with 100% water. Apparently the glycol if it gets on the track will cause all sorts of issues, so they make all auto-cross users run 100% water.

Is this ok to use on the beat? Can i drive it to and from the event without concerns of overheating?

Sounds stupid, but can anyone give me a quick lesson on how to dump coolant, and change with water? Do I have to bleed anything, or just drop'n'drain and refill from rad?

Steve_M
29-07-2014, 08:36 AM
http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?375-Coolant

steveinjapan
29-07-2014, 11:57 AM
I'm going to autocross my beat for the first time ever...only they want me to drain my coolant and change it with 100% water. Apparently the glycol if it gets on the track will cause all sorts of issues, so they make all auto-cross users run 100% water.

Is this ok to use on the beat? Can i drive it to and from the event without concerns of overheating?

Sounds stupid, but can anyone give me a quick lesson on how to dump coolant, and change with water? Do I have to bleed anything, or just drop'n'drain and refill from rad?

The answer to your first question is that it will be fine to drive it to the track and back on plain water. The glycol is mainly to prevent freezing and there are some anti-rust chems thrown in. Heat transfer might be a tad better with glycol but not enough to make it overheat unless there is some other problem. PS - I applaud that track rule - safety first!

unclejemima
29-07-2014, 08:46 PM
The answer to your first question is that it will be fine to drive it to the track and back on plain water. The glycol is mainly to prevent freezing and there are some anti-rust chems thrown in. Heat transfer might be a tad better with glycol but not enough to make it overheat unless there is some other problem. PS - I applaud that track rule - safety first!

Thanks.

Just curious what the safety concerns are regarding the glycol on the track?

old'uns
29-07-2014, 09:17 PM
makes it slippy, greasy film can be left even after evaporating.
airports regularly sweep/clean runways to remove Glycol after prolonged use as a de-icer on the planes or runway