PDA

View Full Version : Radiator recore

kungfuyou
26-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Hi all,

There is a massive hole in my radiator caused by some corrosive fluid by the look of it so I guess I need a new one or get the old one re-cored. Anyone know how much it would cost to re-core and recommend somewhere (I'm in the North East but I don't suppose this matters)?

Cheers

Lexi

gymm
26-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Had mine recored about 18mths ago as my mechanic said it was 'shot'. It actually crumbled in my fingers! Someone here recommended Newquay Radiators as my mate couldn't get it done locally as they all said there was a problem as part of it is plastic which is difficult to bond to. (I'm sure they are right!) I called them and they said they remembered doing it and to send mine. Actually it is surprisingly small, but then the engine is too...(oh ok all of it!) I sent it by post on Wednesday, back Monday and refitted Tuesday. My mechanic approved of the workmanship 100%(recore). It cost £210 which included £15 shipping home. I recall them phoning me at all stages too. No probs since and it gets driven around 5k/yr.

http://www.cylex-uk.co.uk/reviews/viewcompanywebsite.aspx?firmaName=newquay-radiators&companyId=13566318

All in all I would definitely recommend. Honda no longer offer a spare and second hand ones (rare) would be a gamble... Hope that helps.

kungfuyou
27-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Thanks Gymm,

I've seen a few new aluminium replacements on yahoo.jp for £75.00 but once fees, shipping and duty is added it would be getting close to the price of getting Newquay to recore. I'll give them a call and hopefully get the same price they ooffered you

Next up...replacing the steel coolant pipes :)

streetwise
28-03-2014, 07:43 PM
Thanks Gymm,

I've seen a few new aluminium replacements on yahoo.jp for £75.00 but once fees, shipping and duty is added it would be getting close to the price of getting Newquay to recore. I'll give them a call and hopefully get the same price they ooffered you

Next up...replacing the steel coolant pipes :)

pm sent, might be able to help
Regards
Dave