PDA

View Full Version : 'Check Engine' woes

fxdlidon
02-04-2013, 08:42 PM
After sorting out the 'code 6' I was getting by fitting a new temp sender the car seemed fine - well ,untill the first time I took it on a long run then the light came on after about 30 miles. Pulled over, got the engine cover off, shorted out the connector and turned the ignition on again - no code, everything normal :confused: Did this about 6 more times with the same result and eventually found I could just switch off the car and re-start it while I was driving and the light would go out till the next time it came to a hill.

As it seemed to be temperature related I thought "right, change the O2 sensor" then I saw the price from Honda :rolleyes: Replaced it with one of these http://www.lambdasensor.com/main/bosch/price.pl?item=LS602 (the cheaper Walker one) - even including the price of a socket to fit it (£6 on ebay) it was still less than a quarter of what Honda wanted.

And the result - did over 300 miles at the weekend and the light stayed off :D

Ending Credits
02-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Yeah, mine pops on occasionally, sometimes sort of flickers. I always thought it might be the lambda sensor but never got round to replacing it. Probably worth doing as I imagine it's not doing the cat nor the fuel economy much good.

Steve_M
02-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Yeah, mine pops on occasionally, sometimes sort of flickers. I always thought it might be the lambda sensor but never got round to replacing it. Probably worth doing as I imagine it's not doing the cat nor the fuel economy much good.

A flickering engine light? I would say your more likely looking at a failing ECU, most likely leaking/blown capacitors.

Ending Credits
09-04-2013, 07:54 PM
A flickering engine light? I would say your more likely looking at a failing ECU, most likely leaking/blown capacitors.

It seems much more like an analogue component failing than a digital one. It should have had the capacitors replaced already but I might check.

fxdlidon
22-04-2013, 07:10 PM
quick update: after covering about 500 miles at the weekend (KKITP north Wales Run) my average mpg has improved from 41 to 46 - definately a good investment! :)