PDA

View Full Version : Suspension overhaul...any sugestions?

unclejemima
29-08-2012, 04:01 AM
Looking to overhaul the suspension on my beat. Its the original suspension, and its pretty soft right now...could be from age?

Does this thing have a rear sway bar factory? Should I get one?

I was thinking of getting the bushings all replaced. Should I go with OEM ones, or are there better (and cheaper) aftermarket options. Where is a good source for these?

The stock shocks (or more-so stuts). I'd still like a compliant ride, but something that corners better. Any suggestions for a good daily driver setup that is still enthusiast friendly but not to race/hardcore.

Thanks!

marcair
29-08-2012, 07:17 PM
I replaced my OEM system with Fox coilovers with resevior. Be advised that the OEM system lacks an upper A-arm. Thus, the strut carries significant side loads. One of the issues is that the diameter of the shaft is too narrow and tends to wear through the upper bushings over time. The Fox shaft is twice the diameter so the force is dispersed over a wider surface. Seconding, I can adjust the ride with increase or decrease nitrogen service. Initially, during the engine swap, I installed a modified set of Bilsteins that were designed for the Lotus Elise. Even after re-valving, they did not last as the elise has an upper A-arm and the upper bushings wore out repeatedly.

unclejemima
01-09-2012, 09:54 PM
I replaced my OEM system with Fox coilovers with resevior. Be advised that the OEM system lacks an upper A-arm. Thus, the strut carries significant side loads. One of the issues is that the diameter of the shaft is too narrow and tends to wear through the upper bushings over time. The Fox shaft is twice the diameter so the force is dispersed over a wider surface. Seconding, I can adjust the ride with increase or decrease nitrogen service. Initially, during the engine swap, I installed a modified set of Bilsteins that were designed for the Lotus Elise. Even after re-valving, they did not last as the elise has an upper A-arm and the upper bushings wore out repeatedly.

Very good info, thank you.

Are the Fox Coilovers model specific to the beat, or just generic? Do you have any photos? How much $$$ are we talking for the Fox coilovers?

marcair
05-09-2012, 07:46 PM
I do not recall the car that the set was designed for, but their base was modified and new top receptacles were machined. The package was approx. $3000. Yes, pricey, but very responsive.