PDA

View Full Version : Track rod ends

barney
11-06-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm on the scrounge again, for a couple of track rod ends. Passed the MOT, with advisories for track ends. Will any other cars fit, or are they specific to the Beat?
Cheers
B

old'uns
11-06-2012, 08:47 PM
advisory for what though? the rubbers or the actual joint?
my rubbers were an advisory for 2 MOT's running

bought the rubbers only for mine, off top of head £20 each side? will have to dig out paperwork to confirm. Track Rod ends complete were about £45 each side, again from memory, all from Honda.

i suppose if you got them off & took them to a 'proper' old school Motor factor they could physically match them or even the dealer maybe?
problem is no-one keeps stock nowadays.

I'd guess Civic, Accord from same era?

barney
11-06-2012, 09:41 PM
It was actually the rubbers, but I would prefer to change the complete joint if it was cheap enough. Having said that, I suppose if the new rubbers were packed with new grease that should last out my ownership of the car.
Cheers Dave.
B

Steve_M
11-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Part number for new joint is 53540-SF4-004, which is not a Beat specific number, I believe it's same as Honda City circa 1985.

barney
12-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Part number for new joint is 53540-SF4-004, which is not a Beat specific number, I believe it's same as Honda City circa 1985.
Thanks Steve, but I think I'll go with the replacement boot option, it's got to be ££££s cheaper. How do you keep up with all this information that you seem to have at your fingertips?
Cheers
B

Steve_M
12-06-2012, 12:37 PM
53546-SF4-R01 for track rod end rubber boot @ £17.92 inc VAT. (In stock Honda Europe)

Complete joint 53540-SF4-004 superceeds to R01 @ £66.52 inc VAT. (No stock in Honda Europe)

obiwanwasabe
13-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Hi,
I got my track rod ends from the local factors, they were listed for the civic and were quite cheap and exactly the same as the beat one I took in to match, (I also got anti roll bar rubbers kit, they were from a rover 214) if yours has advisory on split rubbers they will probably have got grit in them and will wear rapidly.

I'm on the scrounge again, for a couple of track rod ends. Passed the MOT, with advisories for track ends. Will any other cars fit, or are they specific to the Beat?
Cheers
B

barney
13-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Hi,
I got my track rod ends from the local factors, they were listed for the civic and were quite cheap and exactly the same as the beat one I took in to match, (I also got anti roll bar rubbers kit, they were from a rover 214) if yours has advisory on split rubbers they will probably have got grit in them and will wear rapidly.

Thanks for that. I may take a trip around the local trading estate and see what I can find
Cheers

barney
13-06-2012, 01:54 PM
53546-SF4-R01 for track rod end rubber boot @ £17.92 inc VAT. (In stock Honda Europe)

Complete joint 53540-SF4-004 superceeds to R01 @ £66.52 inc VAT. (No stock in Honda Europe)

Would this part number FTR 4078 http://tinyurl.com/c5uw5us replace the original? The images seem to indicate that the sizes are comparable, and they seem to be fitted to lots of different Honda's in the early/mid 80's, and for a tenner it's got to be a bargain.

steveinjapan
14-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Would this part number FTR 4078 http://tinyurl.com/c5uw5us replace the original? The images seem to indicate that the sizes are comparable, and they seem to be fitted to lots of different Honda's in the early/mid 80's, and for a tenner it's got to be a bargain.

I had to have the rubbers replaced in my (Japanese equivalent of) MOT last month. My mechanic is of the old school and I highly doubt he went through the Honda dealer for the "correct" part since he charged me 1000 yen for the pair. Probably came out of his "rubber odds and ends" drawer.

obiwanwasabe
14-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Hi,
I can't remember the part number, I took mine down and got a couple of civic ones to check against, I checked the total length, the taper size and the main thread size and the match seemed exact to the point that when I checked the tracking it was only about a half a turn out, near as dammit really!
But £66 for a track rod end, no thanks, Honda buy them in, rebox them and sell them out.
Nick

barney
14-06-2012, 11:17 AM
I think the answer is if it fits, use it. Big trip Saturday for my little car, Westbury Wilts to St Merryn. About 170 miles and really looking forward to it.

obiwanwasabe
14-06-2012, 01:05 PM
My big trip in mine was last year, from Cornwall to Folkestone, Dunquirke through France via St Emillion, down the coast, Nantes, La Rochelle, Bordeaux and down past Andorra, across the Pyranees to Barcelona, Girona and back via Narbonne and Paris.
I am not far from St Merryn here. Hope the weather picks up for you it's crap at the mo.
Nick

I think the answer is if it fits, use it. Big trip Saturday for my little car, Westbury Wilts to St Merryn. About 170 miles and really looking forward to it.