PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Switch Needed

fxdlidon
16-05-2012, 01:27 PM
My ignition switch died yesterday, the nice RAC man hot-wired thr car to get me home.

From looking in the parts manual it seems that the switch part (white plastic bit on the back) is only available as part of the full lock set and I hate to think what Mr Honda would want for that!!!

Does anyone have an old ignition switch or know of an alternative I could use?

Steve_M
16-05-2012, 06:53 PM
As you have seen the electrical part of the ignition/steering lock is only available as a complete unit.

Steering lock is available as a separate part to a complete lock set.

35100-SS1-003

I will check tomorrow for price and availability for you, but it does mean a different key for ignition/door, unless you could actually take the electrical part off the new lock and fit on your original one.

fxdlidon
16-05-2012, 08:38 PM
The electrical part is only held on with 2 screws, even the wires that signal the annoying beeper that tells you your key is in the ignition, just plug into the back of the steering lock - it seems crazy that it's not available as a separate bit!

Won't have time till the weekend to dismantle it but it's probably only a small copper contact in there that has become worn or corroded. If it's not mendable I can see me running the car hot-wired for a few years :)

Steve_M
17-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Steering lock Assy 35100-SS1-003 @ £371.15

Lock set 35010-SS1-000ZA @ £443.58

No stock of either part in Honda Europe, so would have to come from Japan, so possible would be a wait for it to arrive.

steveinjapan
17-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Steve - I think someone posted fairly recently that one or both might be interchangeable with same from other Honda models. Given those prices, I'd be scouring the junkyards.

fxdlidon
19-05-2012, 12:38 PM
No longer needed :)

Pulled it apart this morning and stripped the electrical bit. Lots of corrosion and arcing damage to the contacts - I think some water must have got in there at some point. Filed the contact surfaces back flat and gave everything a good clean up - now working perfectly :D