PDA

View Full Version : Flickering speedo

Saharasole
05-05-2012, 09:59 PM
The beat is back on the road with new capacitors and resoldered master relay. A couple of weeks ago, I took it out for a spin to find the speedo occasionally stops working and then picks up again. I had hoped the ECU repair may have helped but alas to no avail. At the say time my engine limiter now seems to cut in at 8300 rpm whereas it used to be 9500. Any thoughts anyone?

Steve_M
05-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Connection at the speed sensor on the gearbox or earth for that sensor possibly.

Are you hitting the 140kph limiter when you are @ 8300rpm in 5th gear?

Have you check for any engine trouble codes e.g. Code 17 vehicle speed sensor?

fxdlidon
06-05-2012, 12:05 PM
I had a similar problem on mine when I first got it. I was down to corrosion on the pcb behind the speedo.

Saharasole
06-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks for you replies, FXDLIDON how did you solve it?

Steve the 8300 is every gear not just 5th.

Steve_M
07-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Steve the 8300 is every gear not just 5th.

First step would be to check for any engine trouble codes, this will give you an idea where in the vehicle speed sensor circuit may lie. Sensor itself, wiring between sensor and ECU or speedo, or speedo/printed circuit.

Then diagnose from there. The fact your getting some odd rpm restriction may point to ECU receiving incorrect speed signal as well as speedo.

Wiring diagram HERE (http://www.manser42.freeserve.co.uk/Beat.zip)

fxdlidon
07-05-2012, 04:50 PM
The fact your getting some odd rpm restriction may point to ECU receiving incorrect speed signal as well as speedo.

Although the wiring schematic shows the speed signal splitting to the speedo and the ECU it actually runs from the sensor up to the speedo head then back to the ecu so any probs in the speedo head will affect the signal the ecu recieves.

If I remember rightly the connections to the speedo head are via screws through the pcb - mine had rusted, just cleaned them, and the copper on the board, then just put it all back together.

Steve_M
07-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Ive put together a PDF of pages from the Electrical manual that show connections between speed sensor/ecu/speedo and the harness/connector locations.

If you need it, let me know via PM and I can email it to you. (too big to post on thread)

Saharasole
08-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks guys, will start with the codes this weekend and then the speedo pcb. I remember having problems with pcb corrosion when I first got the car, so a good clean and a touch up with a pcb paint pen may help.

Steve will PM you with my email address.