PDA

View Full Version : Painted Calipers and Rusty Hubs.

scottyd
25-02-2012, 05:04 PM
I have been planning on painting my calipers for a while because they look a shambles, and I recently got new brake discs and because they are mild steel, the hubs are already starting to rust and it looks terrible, so I planned on painting them too.

Decided today that it was a nice enough day to finally try painting my calipers and rusty hubs. My decision was correct as far as the dry weather was concerned, however I was not expecting it to get as windy and as cold as it did after I started hahaha!

I bought the E-Tech caliper paint set for the calipers and I bought some Hammerite smooth silver paint for the hubs, I also bought some extra brushes, wire brushes and wet and dry paper.

I used a steamer first to make sure everything was clean and dirt free, then I attacked the calipers with some wire brushes. I also used the wet and dry paper to rub the hubs down. Once I had scraped as much of the rust and grime away I used the Brake de-greaser from the paint kit to make sure the surface was dry, clean and ready to paint.

Next was applying the paint. Both the paints that I bought require no primer so I used the brush that came with the kit and started applying the red paint. After a minute I realised that the brush that was supplied, and subsequent extra brushes that I bought were far to big for a job such as this. Luckily I had some childrens fine art brushes in the house, fortunately they were perfect for the job, unfortunately the kids haven't got any paint brushes anymore hahaha!

After I had applied one coat to the front calipers I then started on the hubs with the silver paint. The hammerite paint was very nice and easy to apply, more so than the caliper paint. after the hub was painted silver I decided to paint the very top of the brake discs because this area was starting to get surface rust and it looked horrible. Using the fine art brushes I carefully applied the paint to the outside of the disc, making sure not to get any paint on the dics face contact area. I also then decided to paint the very centre of the wheel hub which I believe is where the bearings are because that was the only thing left making the area look ugly.

I only managed to get the fronts done and only one coat but I want them to dry and harden fully before I apply the next coat. I am happy with the job so far, considering that I absolutely loathe painting things, and thought I'd share it with you.

I have attached picturs below; stuff I used, before, prepped and after. (If you look at the times on the pics, although incorrect, you can tell it took me a good few hours to do this!)

old'uns
26-02-2012, 11:37 AM
looks a lot better.
not too sure i'd have done the edge, will be the first place to start coming off.

scottyd
26-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Yeah I dabbled with the idea of the edge, however worst scenario it starts coming off and I just sand it off.

I just got done doing the rears, it's made a world of difference to the look of the car, looks alot brighter!

Obsessive
27-02-2012, 06:14 AM
Very tidy, that makes a big difference. I've been meaning to get around to painting my callipers when I find the time.

Like you I painted the edges of the disks, but with black paint, over a year later they still look good :)

gymm
28-02-2012, 05:36 AM
Smart job Scott. Could this be done with new callipers before fitting?

scottyd
28-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Yes this could be done with new calipers, infact it would be a much easier job as you will not have to be careful with the paint, and you can let the paint cure and harden warm indoors so the finish is perfect before you put them on the car.

Also you could use spray paint which would be much easier to get a smooth finish compared to brush painting, and it is much quicker.

marcair
29-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Note that with new units you could warm the items in the oven at approx. 175F max for 15 minutes to allow the grain of the metal to expand. Remove, and paint and either return the items in the oven (turn off) for a controlled temp drop-off or set aside until cool. Subjecting the paint/adhesives to an elevated temperature allows for a better bonding during the cure period.