PDA

View Full Version : Classic Car Insurance

witsend
11-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Just a thought, Don't some insurers offer classic car insurance when the vehicle is 20 years old?
If so, some of the Beats must now have 'come of age'?

Paul W

(hello folks!)

old'uns
11-01-2012, 01:13 PM
yup, mine is '90 ( or is it '91?) on H, just squeezed in apparently.

scottyd
12-01-2012, 01:06 AM
It is eligible for a classic car policy, mine is a 91 also, however the insurance companies that I tried did not have that particular policy available for the car.

I'm currently with Admiral on a normal policy fully comp and i'm paying 435 a year with legal and courtesy car cover. Every other company I tried wanted in excess of £800 for a lesser policy.

I still don't understand where these companies pull their figures from, it's ridiculous.

old'uns
12-01-2012, 12:24 PM
insurance is subject to a lot of factors so difficult to compare.
you need to shop around, with Tesco for 3/4 yrs, tried a few others:
Performance direct, classic 5k per yr, no NCB's needed for classic,
50 yrs old, kept on driveway, £220 'ish from memory.
pretty sure this came from a comparison site?

LawrenceHarding
14-01-2012, 12:19 AM
Just be careful to check for exclusions. When I asked I was told a classic policy would not cover travel to/from work --- at all --- not even the odd especially sunny day or if main car in for service. We have our Beats on a multi car policy which covers a total of 7 vehicles for around £1000 but we are late 50s, clean record, live in Guernsey.

gymm
25-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Hi my PP1 ('91) is insured with Adrian Flux on a 5000 mile restriction. I agree, the small print forbids any commuting and the wording needs to be checked thoroughly. They agreed to a definite valuation if it was totalled rather than a book price for a 20 yr old car. They limited it to the purchase price. No profiteering! It required a small fee and you needed to submit 6 pictures (4 sides, interior and engine! -obviously it's hidden so I showed under the bonnet and what you can see in the boot.) I added extra ones of the hood up/down/condition and also the odometer reading and a dated newspaper for validation. Perhaps a bit OTT but they agreed straight away. (tip, I burned them on a disk to send and each image title contained the reg number and angle of view) I pay around £180 with a low excess at 55. I have 2 other cars (Hondas) but 'multicar' poilicies don't seem to want imported models. One that considered it worked out more expensive than the sum of what I pay singly. Hope that helps. John

TADO
25-01-2012, 10:30 PM
ours is on a classic policy with hagerty, arranged through diamond insurance (club cappo recommended them) for about 300 per year and thats with all the modifications and an agreed value.