PDA

View Full Version : Engine problems - helping a friend with a Beat. Will be scrapped otherwise :(

tom_kauf
25-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Hi guys,
I'm posting this on behalf of a friend. He's thinking of scrapping his Beat :(, because the quote he got for his 1992 model's engine repair seems REALLY expensive (here in Australia).

If anyone could advise on parts availability, because it is a fairly rare car (and if the quote seems reasonable). Or point him another direction, that would be appreciated, because he would love his car back on the road.

Here is what they diagnosed:
Vehicle towed into work shop (not starting). Found broken timing belt (engine cranking speed very high) and suspect engine valve damage has occurred. Vehicle is privately imported, no parts are available in Australia to repair it. Parts can be sourced through Honda ex Japan and are expensive. Second hand engines are available ex Malaysia or Japan in about 3 months from point of order.

Estimate to repair (subject to inspection on pull down):
Option 1----Replace with second hand engine including new timing belt, water pump, thermostat, oilfilter ect
Approx Aus$6000.00 including freight ex Japan

Option 2------Repair engine damage (valves, pistons, gaskets, timing belt, water pump ect)
Approx Aus$6500.00 Genuine Honda parts ex Japan (subject to pull don and inspection)

fyi The US$ and Aus4 are pretty much worth the same at the moment. But both Euro and Pound are stronger than the Aus$ (one Aus$ is about Euro0.75, and ₤0.65).

Steve_M
25-10-2011, 02:43 PM
I would say in the UK to repair the engine after a cambelt failure, you would be looking at a bill of approx £1200 - £1500 (depending on labour prices).

Im surprised that it would require pistons replacing, Just cylinder head removal and replace all 12 valves, Top end gasket set and cambelt.

steveinjapan
25-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Hi guys,
I'm posting this on behalf of a friend. He's thinking of scrapping his Beat :(, because the quote he got for his 1992 model's engine repair seems REALLY expensive (here in Australia).

If anyone could advise on parts availability, because it is a fairly rare car (and if the quote seems reasonable). Or point him another direction, that would be appreciated, because he would love his car back on the road.

Here is what they diagnosed:
Vehicle towed into work shop (not starting). Found broken timing belt (engine cranking speed very high) and suspect engine valve damage has occurred. Vehicle is privately imported, no parts are available in Australia to repair it. Parts can be sourced through Honda ex Japan and are expensive. Second hand engines are available ex Malaysia or Japan in about 3 months from point of order.

Estimate to repair (subject to inspection on pull down):
Option 1----Replace with second hand engine including new timing belt, water pump, thermostat, oilfilter ect
Approx Aus$6000.00 including freight ex Japan

Option 2------Repair engine damage (valves, pistons, gaskets, timing belt, water pump ect)
Approx Aus$6500.00 Genuine Honda parts ex Japan (subject to pull don and inspection)

fyi The US$ and Aus4 are pretty much worth the same at the moment. But both Euro and Pound are stronger than the Aus$ (one Aus$ is about Euro0.75, and ₤0.65).

I don't think I'm going out on a limb here if I say that $6000 for a second-hand engine is highway robbery, since whole clean running cars cost half that here in Japan. As it happens there are no engines offered on Japan Yahoo! tonight, but they usually go for $1000 or less. Your friend should contact an exporter here directly, like Jesse Streeter or a guy I've dealt with in Nagoya, Kazuo Kuroyanagi ks.nra30133@gmail.com (English is OK). Order those (easy when the engine is out) replacement parts at the same time, and find an honest small-car mechanic to do the work.

Steve_M
25-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Parts costs in the UK from Honda Dealer.

Ex valve 14721-P36-000 - £46.96 x 6 £281.76
In valve 14711-P36-000 - £29.51 x 6 £177.06
Gasket set 06110-P36-000 £166.43
Belt 06141-P36-305 £38.40
Total £663.65

steveinjapan
25-10-2011, 03:07 PM
I lied - there is one for sale now on Japhoo
http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w64747161

Looks like about 700 AUD. Says the compression is good. Just as an idea of the right price....

maiku
25-10-2011, 06:36 PM
New engine is probably cheaper in the long haul. Just will take some time to get it over the ocean.

I had to get new piston rings, found that the rings wouldn't fit the existing pistons, had to get larger pistons and rings and basically overhauled the whole engine from top to bottom. Parts themselves wasn't too expensive, it was the machining and balancing that cost $$$.

tom_kauf
25-10-2011, 11:01 PM
WOW, thank you so much everyone. :) This is why I love car forums! So many helpful, knowledgable people who are passionate about their car.

I will pass on that info the my friend. It might take a bit of time for him to make a decision, but these prices look very nice (much more reasonable). I don't know where he got the quote from, but it seemed excessive.

He'll be very happy to hear this :cool:

p.s. I never got into Forums when I owned my EK Civic, but now that I have an old W201 Mercedes, forums are an amazing way to help other people, and get help from those who know best.

steveinjapan
26-10-2011, 03:50 AM
WOW, thank you so much everyone. :) This is why I love car forums! So many helpful, knowledgable people who are passionate about their car.

p.s. I never got into Forums when I owned my EK Civic, but now that I have an old W201 Mercedes, forums are an amazing way to help other people, and get help from those who know best.

You got that right! I recently sold my old Alfa Romeo, which I (and about 500 other member-owners worldwide) kept in good nick for the past 20 years thanks to an active and fantastically helpful Yahoo forum.

tom_kauf
27-10-2011, 01:47 AM
Alright, decision was made pretty quickly. He'll go with a whole engine replacement. It's going to be easier for a local mechanic, and like maiku said, possibly less problems.

I will bid on the Japhoo auction. Thanks steveinjapan. I just have to try and get the page auto-translated with google or something, so I can see what's going on (when it ends, how to bid....). I did Japanese at school for 6 years, but that was 10 years ago.

I will take some pictures of the car & engine today, because I know very little about Honda Beats. Just so we can be fairly sure it will be the right one.

steveinjapan
27-10-2011, 03:24 AM
Alright, decision was made pretty quickly. He'll go with a whole engine replacement. It's going to be easier for a local mechanic, and like maiku said, possibly less problems.

I will bid on the Japhoo auction. Thanks steveinjapan. I just have to try and get the page auto-translated with google or something, so I can see what's going on (when it ends, how to bid....). I did Japanese at school for 6 years, but that was 10 years ago.

I will take some pictures of the car & engine today, because I know very little about Honda Beats. Just so we can be fairly sure it will be the right one.

A bit of the language will go a long way. The main issue with Yahoo! is that sellers sometimes don't want to go through the hoops of shipping internationally, but it's worth a try. I think that particular auction ended and he dropped the price to 50,000 yen for a quick sale. But there will be more if you wait, and I suggest you also try one of the exporters. In any case we'll be interested to learn the result.

tom_kauf
27-10-2011, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the update steveinjapan. I didn't know the exporters also organised or sourced the purcahse (I thought they just exported the item for you). So that sounds like a better way to do things (a bit of help from them).

Will keep you updated. Thanks everyone. It will bring one yellow Beat back on the road :)

steveinjapan
27-10-2011, 04:51 AM
Huge numbers of low-mileage used cars are sold at a few wholesale auctions here to specialized dealers who resell them to retail dealers all around Japan. And there are also dealers who specialize in exporting cars and trucks (sometimes old and cheap but checked out to some degrees) to a wide range of countries. Used engine exports is also a big specialized business. If it was a common engine I'd be checking dealers in Australia but since it isn't, I think you'll need to rely on Japanese exporters. I tend to trust them since they depend heavily on repeat business. Jesse Streeter is highly regarded on this Forum, and Kuroyanagi-san will answer your e-mails in friendly Japlish including shipping cost. And as far as I can tell his profit margin is very fair. It really shouldn't take 3 months because the partial-container shipping business is very well organized nowadays.

tom_kauf
27-10-2011, 05:28 AM
Awesome, sounds like that's the way to go.
Cheers

tom_kauf
27-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Ok, so Jesse replied very quickly with a very reasonable offer :). Thanks for the advice guys.

Steveinjapan, can you point me to the new auction page? Jesse correctly informed me that it had ended.

Also, can I have the Engine model that I need, so I can give that to Jesse? Are they all the same? I was going to take a picture of the engine, but there's not much to see lol. So I've taken pictures of all the plates I could find, if that helps.

http://home.exetel.com.au/kaufmann/Beat1.jpg
http://home.exetel.com.au/kaufmann/Beat2.jpg
http://home.exetel.com.au/kaufmann/Beat3.jpg
http://home.exetel.com.au/kaufmann/Beat4.jpg

steveinjapan
27-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Ok, so Jesse replied very quickly with a very reasonable offer :). Thanks for the advice guys.

Steveinjapan, can you point me to the new auction page? Jesse correctly informed me that it had ended.

Also, can I have the Engine model that I need, so I can give that to Jesse? Are they all the same? I was going to take a picture of the engine, but there's not much to see lol. So I've taken pictures of all the plates I could find, if that helps.

http://home.exetel.com.au/kaufmann/Beat1.jpg
http://home.exetel.com.au/kaufmann/Beat2.jpg
http://home.exetel.com.au/kaufmann/Beat3.jpg
http://home.exetel.com.au/kaufmann/Beat4.jpg

That level of ID will be good enough. There were two series of Beats but I think there was no significant difference in engines.

I was looking at the same page, but it hasn't actually been re-listed. If it wasn't sold the seller should still be open to offers.

Here are a few more:
http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=%A5%DB%A5%F3%A5%C0%A1%A1%A5%D3%A1%BC%A5%C 8%A1%A1%A5%A8%A5%F3%A5%B8%A5%F3%A1%A1E07A&auccat=2084199219&submit222=%B8%A1%BA%F7&tab_ex=commerce&ei=euc-jp

tom_kauf
31-10-2011, 12:18 AM
We got the engine from the original auction :). Jesse says the next container leaves in about 3 weeks. Then 2-3 weeks transit time until it gets to Brisbane (the nearest capital city). Then 1,200km to Townsville (which is in the same State, lol).

steveinjapan
31-10-2011, 01:06 AM
We got the engine from the original auction :). Jesse says the next container leaves in about 3 weeks. Then 2-3 weeks transit time until it gets to Brisbane (the nearest capital city). Then 1,200km to Townsville (which is in the same State, lol).

Nice!

Curious to find out the total price up to Brisbane. And of course, I hope your friend gets a good engine out of the deal and is back on the road soon.

Also wondering if Streeter did any querying of the seller regarding the condition of the engine, how it came to be on offer, etc.?

tom_kauf
31-10-2011, 01:31 AM
Total will be: AUD: $1,335

I've only had to pay for the engine so far, not the rest.
Cost of item ¥50,000
Ship item to the yard ¥5,000
Bank fee to pay seller ¥630
My commission + handeling costs ¥6,000 *this is more than my usual % as we have to include storage/packing at the yard.
Aus GST + duties ¥10,000
Shipping to Brisbane $400

I'm not aware of any queries regarding condition. Hopefully it's good. He did note that plug leads and intake hose are not included. But I gave him the go-ahead anyway, because our engine only has internal damage.

TADO
31-10-2011, 08:34 AM
jesse does it again! :bounce:
really happy to hear you're getting it sorted, costs sound very reasonable. fingers crossed the engine is all good.

fxdlidon
02-11-2011, 07:48 PM
just got a set of rear discs, for my AZ-1, through jesse - the man is awesome:D