PDA

View Full Version : timing belt tension

obiwanwasabe
30-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Hiya,
Does anyone out there know the correct recommended tensioning procedure for fitting a new timing belt, I have fitted on and set it as I would normally with a tiny little bit of flex on its longest run but have picked up a whine that would suggest it is too tight. The one I took off had so much flex in it that it was nearly possible to move the sprocket round a notch or two without slackening the tensioner so I want to avoid it being like that. first try seemed too slack by taking up all the backlash to the tensioner and letting the new spring do its own thing so it obviously needs to be between that and what it is now. Any ideas?
Nick:help:

Steve_M
30-01-2011, 06:15 PM
With the engine at TDC no.1, turn the engine 60 degrees in the direction of rotation (Anti clockwise) (All the slack is now on the tensioner side of the belt) while holding it in this position, slacken the tensioner bolt and allow the spring to take up the tension then torque the tensioner bolt back up to 45Nm.

obiwanwasabe
30-01-2011, 06:25 PM
With the engine at TDC no.1, turn the engine 60 degrees in the direction of rotation (Anti clockwise) (All the slack is now on the tensioner side of the belt) while holding it in this position, slacken the tensioner bolt and allow the spring to take up the tension then torque the tensioner bolt back up to 45Nm.

Thanks mate, looked everywhere for that info, that is about what i did first time but decided it was a bit "baggy", now thinking it has a bit more slack than usual due to being an aluminium block and has different heat expansion to a steel block!
Nick