PDA

View Full Version : Tire rub...suggestions?

unclejemima
09-09-2010, 11:36 PM
I have a 91 Beat that came with the following tires...

165/50R15 Front
195/50-R15 Rear

When cornering hard, the tires rub with the inner fenders and it is very annoying.

I'm assuming the tires are to large for the car?

Should I get stiffer suspension?

Any advice would be appreciated!

maiku
10-09-2010, 03:47 AM
I think 195 is pretty wide for the rear tire, you may need to add spacers

bigB
10-09-2010, 04:00 AM
Can you tell if it rubbing on the front or the rear tires? You could always "roll the lip" on the sheet metal for a few extra cm. of clearance or loose the wheel spacers. Also depends on wheel offset. I'd have to say no to stiffer suspension as our Canuck roads suck and you need every bit of travel.

marcair
10-09-2010, 03:46 PM
I have 185/50/15 w/ 32 offset rims, all around. Rear fenders rolled. Plenty of clearance in the rear. Likely is that your fwd tires are chafing the inner wheelwell. My fwd LH tire chafes the LH wheel well during a LH turn. I added 5mm spacers to lessen the impact. During the engine swap, we looked at this issue and concluded that the better solution was to leave it alone. The inner wheelwell at the location of the chafe is significantly re-enforced, not allowing 'massaging' inbd to provide clearance. Sizable spacers would be required to clear the wheelwell - this would require longer wheel lugs.

The best solution would be new rims with less negative offset than 32. Someday, I might have a lightweight set fabricated.