PDA

View Full Version : Codes 3 -7 and 9

beecee
08-09-2010, 09:46 PM
MAP , TPS and NO1 CYLENDER POSITION , car starts and idles fine , but when press the throttle it dies .
Any ideas folks ?
cheers
BRIAN

Steve_M
09-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Did you try another ECU??

Looking at the wiring diagram, I can see no relationship to these sensors for power/earth.

TC 9 can be caused by the ignition timing being incorrectly set.

Can you clear the codes? do they all return at once? or have to drive a bit?

beecee
09-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Hi Steve

the dizzy cap has been replaced , and all timing has been checked , all is spot on ( and the belt is 10k klms old :) ) . Originally it was only throwing 3 and 7 , but now its throwing 9 , so that is being explored . Unfortunately i have not been able to try other dizzys or ecu's etc as im the only Beat owner in Ireland i can find , so bar buying parts that i may or may not need , its a little difficult to find the problem .
the no1 cylinder sensor is being checked for faults , are there any English wiring diagrams or other info available that might be of use to the mechanics ??

CHEERS
BRIAN

Steve_M
09-09-2010, 12:55 PM
English translated wiring diagram here.

http://www.manser42.freeserve.co.uk/Beat.zip

I would look into the Map and TPS trouble codes first.

The TPS will be causing the engine to die when you touch the throttle.

But I suspect ECU problems due to the combined nature of the codes.

There are a couple of other guys in Ireland with Beats.

Steve_M
09-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Both these guys are/were in Dublin.

Midship
http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/member.php?u=49
Adam
http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/member.php?u=60

They may be able to help

beecee
09-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Wow , thats great , thanks for you help and advice .
BRIAN .

beecee
13-09-2010, 04:33 PM
I have sent the lads a pm so hopefully ill hear back soon , the map -tps and no1 cylinder have been checked , so it looks more and more like the dizzy , how much is a 2nd hand one worth ?
BRIAN .

Steve_M
13-09-2010, 07:38 PM
so it looks more and more like the dizzy ,
BRIAN .

:confused: How did you come to that conclusion???

I would say ECU!

LawrenceHarding
14-09-2010, 01:30 AM
Take the lid off the ECU and check the capacitors. http://members.multimania.co.uk/ozsamurai/DIY/CondenserReplace.htm
Should help. Please note the illustration for area 1 incorrectly shows two capacitors as 10v 47 uF instead of 10v 470 uF.

beecee
14-09-2010, 03:23 AM
Im useless with mechanics , so im just repeating what the mechanic has said
:( , in fairness to him he did say it was either the dizzy or ecu , and as dizzy's are more prone to breaking , he reconed thats where we should start .
Should i be able to buy those capacetors from Maplins ??
Whats a fair price for a used dizzy and ecu ?
Again , thanks for the replys and help , as im pretty lost with all this stuff.

BRIAN

LawrenceHarding
14-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Should i be able to buy those capacetors from Maplins ??

BRIAN

I got mine from RS components online. I haven't fitted them all yet but it is tricky. You may prefer to have the job done if necessary by an electronix engineer. Second hand ECUs don't come up often outside Japan and its the luck of the draw how long one would continue to work. I have in the past paid £100 to £150.

LawrenceHarding
14-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Someone is breaking a Beat in Wales. Check it out on E Bay.

beecee
14-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks Lawrence , ive seen that Beat on ebay , ive contacted the seller about the Dizzy , looking for a better price if it does-int sell on ebay , see what happens , he does-int list an ecu , but ill ask him if the dizzy does-int sell about a combined price for both .

Brian .

beecee
17-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Well ive had the ecu serviced so to speak and fitted to the Beat , no joy :awwww: ...... .
One thing , all the timing has been checked and double checked , but the only way to get the car to start now is if you move each lead on the dizzy 1 place forward , 1to3 3to2 and 2to1 , very strange .
So im back to thinking its the dizzy , what you think ? .
Before i spend more cash on a 2nd hand dizzy has anyone else any other ideas worth trying ? , or if anyone can contact ADAM and Midship just to let them know they have pm from me , which would be off great help .
Cheers for the help as always .
BRIAN

Steve_M
17-09-2010, 05:12 PM
I still would not exclude the ECU out oof the equation just because it's been so called serviced I would want to see it running on a good car.
As for the dizzy that definitely sounds as it's aligned wrong, it's on a gear so can go in many ways, only one being right.
Do you know if the car has any history of cambelt failure?
The drive gear on the camshaft can come loose and move. That won't account for your other codes.

beecee
17-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Hi Steve , cant say for sure if the car had any belt damage before , but i have no reason to think it has ( or do i ?) , ill say it to the mechanic about it being on a gear .
It would be great to swap parts over onto another beat , thats why im trying to contact the lads , see if they can help .

BRIAN .

beecee
22-10-2010, 09:42 PM
A little bit of positive news , a friend from www.hondacrx.co.uk has had a look at my ecu and sent me the following pm .

Hi Brian

I've found the fault, it seems that one of the original capacitors in the power supply for the tps and map sensor has leaked and corroded some of the circuit board.

I've bypassed the faulty part of the circuit and now all checks out.

Also I've had a look at the trace for the cyl sensor and it seems fine, so I suspect that may be an old code or caused by poor running.

So it " LOOKS " like it should be sorted this time which is a relief .

A big thanks to to all for your help , especially old'uns for the loan of his ecu and tado for the offer of his also , thats what make forums like this great places to be a part of .
Cheers
BRIAN

TADO
23-10-2010, 10:46 AM
hi brian
thats great news - all fingers crossed for you!