PDA

View Full Version : Mirror glass removal ??????

wildbilly
21-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Got both my mirrors off to repaint them as they are an odd shade of red. How do I remove the mirror heads?? I have place a wide trim removal tool at the base behind the glass, but cant seem to get them to Pop off, whats the trick?

LawrenceHarding
21-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Slip a bit of cardboard between the outer case and the glass to protect it. Warm the plastic edging of the glass with a hairdrier and ease the glass out using plastic tools or your fingernails. You can then access the screws that hold the mirror head.

Steve_M
22-04-2010, 12:45 PM
As lawrence says you have to remove the actual glass from its surround to get to a screw behind it.

I personnally would not risk trying to take the glass out, if you break it you cant buy a new one apart from trying to get one cut by a glass/mirror supplier.

Just give the mirror case a blow over while its still complete.

wildbilly
23-04-2010, 02:06 AM
Thanks chaps!

unclejemima
23-04-2010, 05:54 PM
I took mine apart, and tried as nice as I could, the mirror broke in the process. I ended up taping the pieces together as a template and getting it reproduced at a glass shop. Cost me about $5 to get both mirrors cut. I used window polyurethane to glue them back in after I painted the surrounds. Worked great.
From what I can tell, you can't order just the glass from Honda anymore.
Best of luck,

Steve_M
23-04-2010, 08:21 PM
From what I can tell, you can't order just the glass from Honda anymore.

it was never available separately.

wildbilly
15-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Well you were all right, sure enough I broke it!

Took the template to my local glass man and he cut me a new one for £6. Anyway managed to slip it back in the back plate using a heat gun and a dremel to releive some of the tabs at the rear as the new one isnt curved. I used good old 'no nails' to hold it in place, but the lip of the back plate does that any way.

obiwanwasabe
16-05-2010, 08:46 AM
You have to heat the middle of the Mirror as well, there is double sided sticker holding it in 2 places behind it,and if you soften this as well after doing the sides it should come out in 1 piece.