PDA

View Full Version : Swapping the thermostat

wildbilly
08-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Fitting a new stat whilst my motor is in bits. the pipe thats goes into the stat housing seems a little odd? Is it sealed by its location when the stat housing is bolted down? It seems a little vague,Ive ordered both seals.

bigB
09-01-2010, 02:20 AM
Looks to be.:)

Steve_M
09-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Item 4 is the thermostat seal.
it is a U shape in profile and the thermostat goes inside it so there is a piece of seal each side and then the housing bolts on trapping the thermostat/seal between the two parts of the housing.

HTH

wildbilly
11-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Thanks Steve, it was more the pipe into the stat housing I thought was odd. Mine was just loose once I unbolted the stat housing. I see the pipe is bolted to the engine mount and there is some sort of seal in the parts listing.I thought it would of been pressed in but its not.

Steve_M
12-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks Steve, it was more the pipe into the stat housing I thought was odd. Mine was just loose once I unbolted the stat housing. I see the pipe is bolted to the engine mount and there is some sort of seal in the parts listing.I thought it would of been pressed in but its not.

No thats normal. Quite a common waterpump/thermostat connection. Steel tube with O ring on the end, pushed into housing and held in by bolt at the other end/middle of pipe.