PDA

View Full Version : 9000 rpm!!! Did it do any damage?

unclejemima
10-10-2009, 06:24 AM
I was driving my beat today...and showing a friend just how great of a engine it has...

Well, I was turning a corner and giving full throttle in 1st gear, and I waited a little bit to long to shift (I could not see the tach because the steering wheel spoke was in the way). By the time I was around the corner, I went to shift into 2nd and I was near 9000rpm!!! It did not hit any sort of limiter. Does it even have a redline/fuel cut-off? If so, I've never hit it.

It ran just fine after and did not sound strained at the high RPM, but I feel very bad for rev'ing it so high! I typically shift at 8000rpm max.

Any chance I did any damage? :help::o

Like I said, it runs just fine still, but do I have to worry about stretched retainers or anything? I hope my little Beat will be ok.

Steve_M
10-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Does it even have a redline/fuel cut-off? If so, I've never hit it.

If you have a standard ECU then yes it has a rev limiter.

Try is some time in say 2nd or 3rd gear, you will soon feel it.

unclejemima
10-10-2009, 05:04 PM
If you have a standard ECU then yes it has a rev limiter.

Thanks Steve!

Is there any other way to find if I have a standard ECU other than trying to test out the rev-limiter in 2nd or 3rd? If it does not have a standard ECU, I don't want to find out the hard way by over rev'ing it :eek: ;)

Where is the limiter set at? Most cars have a redline and the a fuel cut-off. The fuel cut-off is usually a few hundred rpm higher than that redline. Is this the case with the beat as well?

Do you think I did any damage at 9000rpm for that brief moment? That's what I'm really worried about!

Steve_M
10-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Do you think I did any damage at 9000rpm for that brief moment? That's what I'm really worried about!

No, you probably did it some good and cleared a few cobwebs out.

Any way I expect the rev counter is a fair few RPM out anyway.

Just dont do like I did and when at the rev limiter in 3rd gear, instead of changing to 4th gear, I managed to select 2nd gear. Approx revs managed about 12,500RPM+ and bent all the exhaust valves. It still run but was a bit lumpy and a bit rattley.

unclejemima
11-10-2009, 01:01 AM
No, you probably did it some good and cleared a few cobwebs out.

I guess it could be called an Italian Tune-up;), So I take it that its nothing to worry about. Thanks for the peace of mind. I'm defiantly not going to do that again, but now I can sleep again at night!

Just don't do like I did and when at the rev limiter in 3rd gear, instead of changing to 4th gear, I managed to select 2nd gear.

Ah, the good'ol mis shift. I've always worried myself about doing that. Unfortunately, this is one thing the rev limiter can't stop!:eek:

I can't believe it still ran after that! That is a testament to these motors I guess! I'm betting that you did a complete valve job after that one.

Take care, and thank you!:D

Guido
11-10-2009, 06:05 PM
:) Don`t worry about the 9000 revs. I`ve got still the standart ECU mounted. It cut the ignition at 10.000 Rpm. So 9000 is nothing for an helthy and warm driven Beat Engine.

unclejemima
13-10-2009, 04:03 PM
I`ve got still the standart ECU mounted. It cut the ignition at 10.000 Rpm.
:eek: Are you serious?!?! Wow! Have you taken your Beat up to these RPM before?

So 9000 is nothing for an helthy and warm driven Beat Engine.
On a plus side, the engine was well warm driven before it saw the 9000rpm...thank you for the comforting words!

Take care,

hothybrids
14-10-2009, 05:42 AM
Lol it's a Honda, you're only ment to shift up when you're bouncing of the rev-limiter!

old'uns
14-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Lol it's a Honda, you're only ment to shift up when you're bouncing of the rev-limiter!

wise words :)
drive it like you stole it

LawrenceHarding
14-10-2009, 11:28 PM

Hear hear! In Guernsey Autocross (banger racing on the beach) a lot of the leading drivers use early 90s Preludes and CRXs and will be on the limit for most of the race.