PDA

View Full Version : AC Removal

hothybrids
23-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Hi
I heard somewhere that the air conditionning compressor has a sensor of some sort that is linked to the radiator fan, which stops working if you remove the AC compressor. Could anybody explain to me what this sensor does, why it's there, and hopefully, how to fix the fan to work w/out the AC compressor!

Thanks

marcair
23-07-2009, 08:26 PM
The temperature-controlled fans will function properly without the A/C compressor. One of the tests performed, after the engine swap, was testing of the cooling system components. The system is relatively basic. Temp sensor, gauge, relay, fan. My fan turns-on when the sensor dictates, eventhough I installed an aftermarket compressor that is not yet plumbed.

There is only one lead (locks clutch) to the compressor. If your fan is not working, attempt to isolate the issue. Check the fuse. Next, with a short lead, tap off an adjacent 12v source (bypass the relay) and ground source, just to see if the fan will function. Next, swap out the relay with another relay.

Steve_M
23-07-2009, 09:57 PM
Hi
I heard somewhere that the air conditionning compressor has a sensor of some sort that is linked to the radiator fan, which stops working if you remove the AC compressor. Could anybody explain to me what this sensor does, why it's there, and hopefully, how to fix the fan to work w/out the AC compressor!

Thanks

I think your probably confusing the statement that if your A/C does not work the compressor could have blown the fuse which runs the fan, so you could overheat.

Both run off the 7.5 Amp Fan relay fuse.

Disconnecting th AC compressor wont stop your cooling fan working.