PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to throw my Stereo through the window!!!

unclejemima
17-04-2009, 06:36 AM
:mad::explode::confused:
I have no clue why, but my stereo is acting very weird, and I am this close (very!) to throwing it through my garage window!!!

Here the problem...

I turn it on, it powers up just fine...but no sound comes from the speakers. The weird thing is when I press the button I can hear the "beep" from the speakers.

I turn it off, turn it back on a few time, and still no sound.

Turn it off once more and back on, all of a sudden it works just fine!!! I have not touched or moved a single cord, just turned the unit on/off multiple times. It will then continue to work if I turn it on/off about 3-4 times more, and then its back to no sound!!!

The thing that has me most confused is that when the sound is NOT working, there is still that audible "beep" from the speakers that indicates a button was pressed... and when I have it on CD for example, it indicates what track I am on, and how far into the track it is. Visually it appear EVERYTHING works but no sound! FYI, when the CD track is playing, and no sound is coming through, the rpm dials do not move. When the sound does work, the dial DO work. That is the only indicator!

Does anyone have ANY clue what this could be? Its the 4x30w Gathers unit. I have also removed the tape unit from the stereo, but I am unsure if it was doing this before I purchased the car as this is the first real time I've had the stereo working. I doubt it has anything to do with that?

Thanks kindly!

PS
Can this stereo still be purchased new from the Honda dealer, or has it long been discontinued?

Steve_M
17-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Can this stereo still be purchased new from the Honda dealer, or has it long been discontinued?

Discontiued a long time ago as it was only an accessory.

You may get a 2nd hand one from Japan auctions.

unclejemima
17-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Kinda of figured so. I'm worried that a used one might bring me just as much trouble. These units seem to be a tad on the fragile side!

Any idea if my problem is fixable? Just seems so weird...yet so simple...?

Thanks!

Wh1teLeopard
17-04-2009, 03:52 PM
My personal advice is don't touch it. In my experience they're EXTREMELY fragile inside all the components just brake off when you touch them!

Others might have different experiences I know the ribbon cable in mine just disintegrated when we touched it and had to replace it.

unclejemima
17-04-2009, 06:15 PM
My personal advice is don't touch it. In my experience they're EXTREMELY fragile inside all the components just brake off when you touch them!

Crappy...

I guess my only real choice is to get a used unit from Japan auctions or live with it the way it is.

I would bring it to the local electronics repair store, but I'm unsure of how they would fix...? What a WEIRD problem!!!

If anyone has any other idea's, please chime in! Thanks,

bigB
17-04-2009, 06:23 PM
I just took my radio out, rearranged the heater controlls, and installed a single din. I'd be willing to let it go for a fair price if you're interested. It is the low power unit unfortunately.

unclejemima
17-04-2009, 06:44 PM
I just took my radio out, rearranged the heater controlls, and installed a single din. I'd be willing to let it go for a fair price if you're interested. It is the low power unit unfortunately.

Very interesting offer, and I would jump on that except I have the dash mounted speaker and the sub-woofer that will not work with the low power unit :(

I'm going to post in the "wanted" section for a 4x30w unit. Please let me know if anyone comes across one. I know there was one for sale on ebay not to long ago!

Take care,

TADO
17-04-2009, 07:05 PM
there is a modern replacement styled to look like the original - we saw em at meet the beat. it might be worth doing some research, but im afraid ive not got a clue which company makes em.

8EAT
17-04-2009, 07:06 PM
took my radio out to replace a lamp only to find none in there now lost display but sound ok, :awwww:

unclejemima
17-04-2009, 07:15 PM
there is a modern replacement styled to look like the original - we saw em at meet the beat. it might be worth doing some research, but im afraid ive not got a clue which company makes em.

Wow!!! That give me a glimmer of hope, more than I've ever had!!!!!!!:)

I have a friend who is in Japan right now and I will have him take a look for me to get some info.

If ANYONE has any info about this, please post!

It looks like it may be a one off job, but I hope not!

PS
In which country does "meet the beet" take place?

unclejemima
17-04-2009, 07:17 PM
took my radio out to replace a lamp only to find none in there now lost display but sound ok, :awwww:

sounds like what Wh1teLeopard said...better not to touch it i guess.
At least you have sound!

Check out this link about replacement for the display...this might solve your problem!
http://www.hondabeat.com.au/radiorepairs/

Best of luck

TADO
17-04-2009, 07:27 PM
hmm, ive seen them a couple of times on the blogs so might be a production unit? albeit a very small company doing it! i'll have a dig around and see if i can find any more info for you :)

ahh - meet the beat is in japan - we went last year: http://www.tado.co.uk/beat-report

TADO
17-04-2009, 07:31 PM
the banners in the background are for Honda Sports Modulo (or Racing Modulo) who seem to do a lot of current stuff for type R's etc but i cant find a site for them! not sure if theyre the company who made it but it might be a start. I'll ask my japanese friend as well...

unclejemima
17-04-2009, 10:45 PM
the banners in the background are for Honda Sports Modulo (or Racing Modulo) who seem to do a lot of current stuff for type R's etc but i cant find a site for them! not sure if theyre the company who made it but it might be a start. I'll ask my japanese friend as well...

Please Please Please and thank you!!!:D

This will be quite the find if you can source these! Just think about how many people would swap to this!!!

Thanks!!!:)

unclejemima
18-04-2009, 03:26 AM
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/cornflakejoe/hondabeatstereo.jpg

To bad we did not have a photo of this (see picture)
It might be the ticket.

I've contacted a few good JDM places to see if they can source this.

If anyone has any info, please post. I will report back what I can find as well!

TADO
18-04-2009, 09:28 AM
"Akira Makoto Honda Acces-brand Gathers NAVI & Audio will be released!

No way to end sales of 10 Akira Makoto, NAVI & vehicles would be developed and the audio was not I would.

Gathers As portable NAVI "PXM-088ST" but it is based, NAVI personally anymore, but with the [AUX input terminal] or [iPod compatible] or [SDHC 32GB card in the mp3 response] and I hope to never get released!

Once it is released if I buy!

Anyway it was a bubble, I was impressed that they do in times like this the most stylish in this recession (TOT)

My HONDA (and related companies) is amazing what manufacturers!

Go to the official sign of the market yet do not see that there was a reaction to taking the survey participants.

BEAT is a profit of 34,000, so it only follows that the existing units are not selling is the only one I hope to release a product that can use may be hard luck!"

taken from http://onmybeat.jp
:D
i'll ask midori cappo on kkitp if he can translate the page a little better than google! :)
looks like a genuine gathers/honda prototype tho?

Steve_M
18-04-2009, 02:10 PM
"NAVI & Audio will be released!

So if its NAVI its more than likely wont work in any country other than Japan due to map data, like all JDM imports NAVI systems.

unclejemima
18-04-2009, 04:14 PM
...taken from http://onmybeat.jp
:D
i'll ask midori cappo on kkitp if he can translate the page a little better than google! :)
looks like a genuine gathers/honda prototype tho?

TADO, you are good! Please keep us posted.
It sounds like they are planning on putting it into production, but is still not available for sale...but it sounds like it most likely will be for sale. This is good news indeed!

I agree with you Steve about the Navi thing, but because this is sort of aftermarket, it might (cross fingers) work. Perhaps because it has the aux. cards for data, one can perhaps load other countries and such onto the unit. If not, I'm sure they will have Canada on the map, but I'm not to sure about the UK ;) (kidding!)

But seriously, i'm sure the unit can be run in a "audio" type screen what does not show the maps, and I would even be inclined to use it without the navi, just for the audio.

I wonder if it will work with the factory sub-woofer?

TADO
19-04-2009, 12:34 PM
ok... heres what da man said (thanks andy if you ready this! :D ) :

"It seems it's a Gathers prototype based on a portable navi system (actually now part of Honda 'Access' / Modulo, the factory aftermarket parts arm of Honda) onmybeat suggests the Gather portable Navi http://www.honda.co.jp/navi/pxm-088st/ is the basis.

It seems they were gauging interest before considering production (some people it seems recieved questionaries).

onmybeat seems to think it would be difficult to make it profitable for a car which they only produced 34000 of.

It's also on cozylights blog;

http://blog.livedoor.jp/cozylights/archives/51188227.html

Which seems to say similar things, testing the interest in aftermarket parts for the Beat.

Maybe they're getting tired of folks hassling them for missing buttons?"

hmm, so it seems a little doubtful if it will actually get put into production :( - should have realised about te navi before as well - haha - thanks for pointing that out steve :p
have you considered just swapping to a double din either by modifying the original housing or getting one of the adaptors? im guessing you want to keep it looking original tho?

unclejemima
21-04-2009, 01:26 AM
TADO, you are the man! I'm impressed with the info you found! Thanks for doing all that!
Well, I guess only time will tell if they release that unit. It was a fairly low production run for the Beat, so it would definitely limit the profits they could make, but I'm sure they would sell a good number of them.

I'm going to try and get my old gathers unit fixed. I really like the factory look. I found a guy who figures that he can repair it. He said that Clarion had a problem with capacitors in the 90's. I just have to try and find a pin-readout for the stereo so that we can trace back the problem. I'm going to make a new thread asking if anyone has a pin-readout.

Thanks kindly all for the help. I sure hope that some day that new gathers nav/stereo unit comes out!