PDA

View Full Version : My ECU is not dead! But somethings wrong..

rjhowle
17-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Hey everyone,

You may remember me from earlier posts such as this one (http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=2792) complaining that my ECU had blown capacitors and died.

Well, I got a 2nd hand CPU from Japan via auction (thanks Juno (http://www.bid-service.jp/)) and guess what -problemo not solved!

So... methinks it unlikely two ECUs would show exactly the same symptoms, so the problem must be lying elsewhere.

I'm still getting exhaust temp light and ECU light comes on with code 9 (cyl #1 position sensor) after a few minutes of driving. Car seems to be running OK though.

Where to from here ? Could there really be a dual sensor failure ? Or more likely wiring? Should I just give up and take it to an auto electrician to track down the probem?

RobertH

PS, I will likely have a 2nd hand ECU for sale sometime soon! And I have spare set of capacitors too now...

Wh1teLeopard
17-03-2009, 01:51 PM
I had two errors at once on mine, the same as you (same errors).

I took it to Honda to get their opinion on it and they confirmed that the position sensor on cylinder 1 needed replacing but I never got around to it before stripping the engine out completely (got fed up of one error after another).

You can try taking it to Honda for a diagnostic check, but it isn't free. Think I paid about £40 just to be told what I already knew.

rjhowle
17-03-2009, 02:01 PM
What it looks like when it is not in pieces for ECU surgery.

Steve_M
17-03-2009, 06:50 PM
The Cat overheat light has nothing to do with the ECU, so dont worry about that. Thats more likely the sensor has failed rather than Cat overheat, you can either just take the Dash bulb out, earth the wire out at the sensor, or replace the expensive sensor (If you can get it out of the cat!!)

TDC sensor trouble code can be caused by the Ignition timing being miss set, so worth getting that checked/reset.

Or otherwise possible TDC sensor failure, they do seem to have a habit of the sensor windings melting and the shorting out. To replace that sensor its a cambelt off job, so worth changing belt as well when replacing it.

Ignition timing settings can be found on my Website.
www.manser42.freeserve.co.uk/page1.html

rjhowle
18-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the help everyone.

Can anyone tell me if the 2 sensors in question (cat temp and #1 cyl position) are common with other honda models like civic etc or are they Beat specific parts ?

Steve_M
18-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Cat temp sensor is the same as other JDM spec cars (e.g Civic)

TDC sensor is Beat/E07A specific