PDA

View Full Version : Blanking plate where the stereo is???

beardo
23-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Can I get a blank from anywhere so I can neatly do away with the Gathers O/E stereo? I want to eventually install an amp, speakers and Ipod dock. Not sure I want an hole in the dash.

Steve_M
23-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Get yourself a centre console from a car that has not had a stereo fitted as there will be a pocket/box in its place that is cut out when radio is fitted.

beardo
23-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Get yourself a centre console from a car that has not had a stereo fitted as there will be a pocket/box in its place that is cut out when radio is fitted.

Sounds like a hunt for rocking horse poo. :)

Mylee
23-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Why don't you fibreglass and fill the hole yourself? Especially as your now painting all the interior trim, all the colour matching issues don't exist!

unclejemima
23-02-2009, 09:54 PM

I was unaware they came without stereo's? Must have been a type-R version:D If someone could source a part number, that might be the cheapest way to go, even from the stealership...if you don't want to mess with fiberglass anyway.

I found a nice kit on yahoo auction for a doubleDIN replacement so you can put a regular doubleDIN stereo in place of the factory Gathers unit. It included the entire surround where the air controls are in. I'll post when I get home tonight,

Steve_M
23-02-2009, 10:14 PM
I was unaware they came without stereo's? Must have been a type-R version:D

No beat was built with a radio, they are all an accessory fitment.

beardo
23-02-2009, 10:23 PM
I'd better place a wanted ad.

bigB
24-02-2009, 01:15 AM
Check it out. Last pick is part #

unclejemima
24-02-2009, 03:20 AM
No beat was built with a radio, they are all an accessory fitment.

I see! I've never, ever seen one without at least the 40w stereo. Must be pretty rare to not have the radio I guess!

beardo
24-02-2009, 07:35 AM
@ Mylee, I have never tried fiberglass.

I think I will try to find a consol with the pocket.

Mylee
24-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Looking at what you've done to your Beat, fibreglassing is well within your capabilities!

upbeat
29-08-2010, 04:05 PM
I would also like to find the original shelf that exists if no radio is in the BEAT.
If anyone knows about this please inform. -Vancouver, BC

marcair
30-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Further to fabricating a blanking plate, consider:
Abrade the surface of the console that will be overlapped with the plate. Size a sheet of 1-2mm thk plastic to fit over opening and align with a ridge or other contour change to help with blending. Chamfer the edges. Secure the plate with a rubberized adhesive. Allow to cure. Apply autobody fender paste / putty with fingers to blend the plate edges to the console. With the paste / putty still soft, add texture with a brush, rough sponge or whatever works best. Handsand. paint or cover with fabric.