PDA

View Full Version : Wheel spacers...

unclejemima
23-02-2009, 05:41 AM
I found these little buggers on my back rims...http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpage11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp%2Fj p%2Fauction%2Fn73454908&lp=ja_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

The rims are 15x6's on the back...I'm assuming that this is needed to make the wheels clear?

Is anyone else running these wheel spacers? I'm guessing it is not a good thing...?

beardo
23-02-2009, 08:47 AM
You can get away with using these as there are no spigot rings to centralise the wheel. They aren't the best wheel spacers in the world.

marcair
23-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Suggest obtaining/fabricating spacers with the specific hole pattern - not slots. I have 15x6 (32mm offset) rims all arround with 185/55/15 Toyo tires. The front have spacers and requires a minor contour change of the inner wheelwell to allow full, unrestricted articulation. The rear does not have spacers but had the fender flanges rolled. Be advised the the rear coils had temporary rubber spacers until the custome adjustible struts (and larger swaybar) were fabricated for the current engine swap. Also be advised that dynamic energy (weigth x mass) of the 15" setup is greater than the initial design. So that even OEM new struts will not be still enough. The rubber spacers appeared to be an adequate solution. Finally, I have the tires on all my cars balanced on-the-car. The difference between machine balancing and on-the-car balancing is remarkable. Especially on the Beat as there is minimal weight in the front.

The Hayabusa mod: the Quaife differential finally arrived last week. Limited slip, internal reverse, 44 pounds, $2500. Fantastic.

unclejemima
23-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Cool, thanks all!

unclejemima
28-02-2009, 01:28 AM
I took the wheel spacers off to see if it would work without, and it does. I have about 1/4-1/8" gap (very tight!) between the shock and the wheel, but the wheel turns just fine without rubbing. Is this ok, or when I corner hard and stuff, will the wheels fold over at all?
Thanks!

marcair
28-02-2009, 01:50 AM
Your'e fine. My old 14" setup cleared the strut flange with approx. .1". After a few thousand miles of agressive driving, no marks on the sidewall. If your concerns continue, spot a dabs of rtv on the nearest edge of the sidewall and check after hard bumpy turns.

unclejemima
28-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Your'e fine. My old 14" setup cleared the strut flange with approx. .1". After a few thousand miles of agressive driving, no marks on the sidewall. If your concerns continue, spot a dabs of rtv on the nearest edge of the sidewall and check after hard bumpy turns.

Great, good advice! I will give that a try!

I'm not to sure why, but every tire shop guy I spoke with HATES wheel spacers...???

I was glad to get them off, but I don't know why people put them on? Looks only, or performance gains?
Are they really that bad to use as the tire shops make them out to be?

marcair
28-02-2009, 11:00 PM
the thin spacers do, just that, add wheelbase separation and clearance from obstructions. many tire shops will not perform tire/wheel maintenance on the car if spacers are present. Why? Insurance. Some owners will add spacers and not consider the reduction of thread engagement. Second, many cheap spacers are slotted and are very difficult to align with the hub/wheel.

The thick spacers or lug pattern adapters are different. They totally screw-up the design loading if the suspension is not adjusted properly.