PDA

View Full Version : Fitting new seats...

unclejemima
16-02-2009, 05:57 AM
Ok, after cleaning my beat tonight, the seats are FILTHY from the smell of smoke. I can not seem to get rid of it. Its in the foam, and shy of ripping the seats apart, it will always smell.

The OEM seats seem pretty small...will any aftermarket sports seats fit, or do I have to get special ones? They must be smaller than normal, or has anyone done a swap with normal sized seats?

Can you buy new OEM seats/cushion, or would they be worth a small fortune?

Thanks!!!

TADO
16-02-2009, 09:26 AM
theres a few people on here with aftermarket seats - usually you do need some kind of adaptor for the rails. the problem is finding a matching pair as the drivers seat is bigger than the passengers, so if you want them to match the both have to be the smaller passenger-size. nothing is ever simple with a beat! :p

i put cobra roadster 7's in mine which went in fine with some adaptors from japhoo. i think cobra clubmans and one of the older sparco models will also fit both passenger and drivers sides.
emily has some nice ones in hers as well - maybe she can spill the beans on them if she sees this.

theres plenty nice seats from tuning places in japan, but theyre ££££££££ :)

unclejemima
16-02-2009, 04:55 PM
the problem is finding a matching pair as the drivers seat is bigger than the passengers
They looked slightly different when I took them out, but I thought it was just my imagination!

nothing is ever simple with a beat!
I'm starting to find this out...

emily has some nice ones in hers as well - maybe she can spill the beans on them if she sees this.:help:;)

theres plenty nice seats from tuning places in japan, but theyre ££££££££ :)
Ah yes, if only money only grew on tree's!

Steve_M
16-02-2009, 07:42 PM
I have previously removed the covers from beat seats and put them in a washing machine. Mainly due to damp, mould had started growing on the covers.

They came up really well. and it not to difficult to remove the covers if you have done seat trims before.

Wh1teLeopard
16-02-2009, 08:42 PM
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v661/Wh1teLeopard/Photoshoot240906/?action=view&current=Photoshoot240906-photo04.jpg

I went for fixed bucket seats, 19" wide, and used the original rails.

We used a thick metal sheet to fix the rails to, then fixed it to the seat (they didn't line up with the holes in the seat).

Only problem I have is I have to slam the passenger door a bit to get it to shut properly, but if you're brave enough you could always have a go at modifying the passenger seat. It was only the shoulder support that causes problems.

unclejemima
16-02-2009, 08:46 PM
I have previously removed the covers from beat seats and put them in a washing machine. Mainly due to damp, mould had started growing on the covers.

They came up really well. and it not to difficult to remove the covers if you have done seat trims before.

Hey, good idea!
I've never really done this before...is it hard to do? I assume there is a zipper of something at the back of the seat? I'll have a look. Thanks!

unclejemima
16-02-2009, 08:47 PM
I went for fixed bucket seats, 19" wide, and used the original rails.

We used a thick metal sheet to fix the rails to, then fixed it to the seat (they didn't line up with the holes in the seat).

Good idea with the metal sheet to fix the rails to. Your seats look great. Sounds like they fit like a glove!

Steve_M
16-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Hey, good idea!
I've never really done this before...is it hard to do? I assume there is a zipper of something at the back of the seat? I'll have a look. Thanks!

There are zips, metal clips and plastic clamps.

The metal clips can be bent open and reused, or you can buy new, they are called 'Hog rings' otherwise I have used plastic cable ties to refix trims.

Just be Methodical about removing noting where the fixings are and when reinstallinf fix in reverse order as removal.

Its a bit like trying to put clothing on a small child when refitting. :D

unclejemima
16-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks Steve...
I just came back from taking them apart in the garage, and they are in pretty bad condition (very thin and torn is spots).
Have you heard of seat covers that would work in place of the OEM, or someone that makes OEM replacements?

I always thought aftermarket seat covers would look cheap, but if they fit like OEM, and done properly (aka, take the OEM off, and fit the new ones to direct to the foam and tie them down right) then its all good, right?

Any advice would be appreciated!

unclejemima
16-02-2009, 11:14 PM
http://66.163.168.225/babelfish/translate_url_content?.intl=us&lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fpage3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp%2fjp %2fauction%2fc207927673#enlargeimg

this is not bad...but it would prefer fabric...
anyone have experience with this???

TADO
16-02-2009, 11:50 PM
when i looked at swapping mine, i enquired about re-doing my seats in fabric rather than leather. the upholstorer i spoke to seemed to think it was a pretty straightforward job so it might be worth making some enquiries locally? it wasnt overly expensive either. he also said he could repair the hole i had in the bolster.

these are the plates ive got on mine which work a treat - you have to make sure you have the right plates for the right brand of seat tho:
http://bp0.blogger.com/_Saq_w-4FxtE/Rva0jMNMVrI/AAAAAAAAAIE/ZMcujde0uM4/s1600-h/stereo-console.jpg
(plates are on the left). ive just checked and couldnt see any on japhoo at this second but theres usually several sellers with them.
if i were as clever and handy as em or half the folk on here i'd definitely make my own - they seem pretty simple if you have the skills (unlike me! :p )

unclejemima
17-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Great, thanks again!

I found these fabric ones...

http://66.163.168.225/babelfish/translate_url_content?.intl=us&lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fpage.auctions.yahoo.co.jp%2fjp% 2fauction%2f110849900

...but they look kinda cheap...well I guess they are, especially compared to those other ones 2 posts up. About half the price!!!

I think I may just end up getting new seats. We shall see!

beardo
17-02-2009, 10:14 AM
I like the leather covers. Just need to learn japanese and get bidding.

beatboi
17-02-2009, 07:38 PM
has anyone done a swap with normal sized seats?

Hi, I've got a pair of black leather Mazda Mx5 seats in mine. I purposely chose mk1 highbacks because they have speakers in the headrests, and I felt that even with the Gathers 4 speaker set up, the music was overly biased to the front. I've also put in an amp to run all the new speakers and then an output bias adjuster in to regulate the output so the sound is 'surround' as without it, the music seemed to only come from the headrest speakers. They look really nice and are dead comfy.

That said it was a brutal job, and I'm not sure I would have done it, had I known what I was letting myself in for before I started. The drivers seat was reasonable. With some hole enlargement the Beat runners fitted the seat bottom and still fitted in the car, but the passenger seat was a complete nightmare! I'll spare the gory details but it involved taking an angle grinder to the seat frame in numerous places, and took the best part of 48 hours of swearing...

I've been told that Suzuki Cappuccino seats can fit with relatively little work, but as an excellent used pair can near £350 - 400, you might find retrimming what you've got a better option... Good Luck!

Mylee
17-02-2009, 10:06 PM
I've got a pair of black leather Mazda Mx5 seats in mine.

Pictures, pictures, pictures!

TADO
17-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Pictures Pictures Pictures PICTURES!! :D

8EAT
17-02-2009, 10:20 PM
I stripped my seats down ,got old seat covers from Japan put them through the washing machine ,then took them to the upholsters who cut them into the shapes to make new seats ,then I rebuilt the seats and put on the frames ,like steve said just do in order ,now like new....

unclejemima
18-02-2009, 03:57 AM
I stripped my seats down ,got old seat covers from Japan put them through the washing machine ,then took them to the upholsters who cut them into the shapes to make new seats ,then I rebuilt the seats and put on the frames ,like steve said just do in order ,now like new....

What kind of shape was your foam underneath the seats in?

8EAT
18-02-2009, 06:12 PM
not to bad covered with some thin soft foam.

Mylee
18-02-2009, 10:42 PM
What kind of shape was your foam underneath the seats in?

Shouldn't matter, any decent upholsterer will be able to replace any worn foam.
My drivers seat bolster was refoamed as a matter of course when I had the seat repaired.

beardo
19-02-2009, 07:59 AM
I took our seats apart yesterday and washed the covers. Very easy to do and the covers have come up a treat. Foams are in good condition too so I may opt for new covers in the future.