PDA

View Full Version : Coolant?

Wenders
11-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Hi guys

I have a VERY blonde question, please excuse my ignorance...but I've no one I can really ask...you guys will know!

My Honda Beat...I was doing my basic checks and I noticed the coolant, the bottle in the boot with the metal cap, is looking a bit low...do I just put water in there? I told you it was a blonde question! But you only know if you know :confused:

It'll be going in for its service come May/June so just looking to tide over just now if possible.

Any help is much appreciated!! Thanks very much!

beardo
11-02-2009, 12:15 PM
You can do but don't fill it to the top. It is the expansion bottle. Check that the radiator is full as it has a filler cap also.

Mylee
11-02-2009, 01:33 PM
When the engine is cold the water (engine coolant) will be in the Rad, as it warms up the water EXPANDS to the bottle. i.e expansion bottle ;)
Saying that the bottle should have some level showing when the engine is cold.

TADO
11-02-2009, 01:44 PM
if i remember rightly, the level should be up to the seam/ridge half way down the bottle in the back when the engine is cold?
(same answer as above really! haha)

Wenders
11-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks guys!
So I need to put anti-freeze in this bottle in the boot? :p

I was getting confused cause I was thinking there were two 'bottles' under the bonnet, one in the boot and I know one in the front is for the wipers...but then maybe I was wrong about the second one, maybe dreamt it!

Mylee
11-02-2009, 02:31 PM
A water anti-freeze mix in the bottle in the boot.

Water and screen wash in the bottle in the front. What ever you do DONT put antifreeze in the front bottle for your washers. Anti freeze can act like paint stripper! :eek:

Wenders
11-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Ha! OK I will do that/won't do that, then!

What would I do without you guys, its lovely all the Beat owners help one another out! THANKS. (It's all a far cry from my days of owning a Clio, at least I had a manual with the Clio).

Mylee
11-02-2009, 03:20 PM
its lovely all the Beat owners help one another out!

group hug :p