PDA

View Full Version : General Reliability...

unclejemima
05-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Hello all,
I just bought a 1991 honda beat with 40,000km on it. Its in good shape and I plan to keep it for a while.

Just curious, some people say that the general reliability of the beat is good, but it is fragile...? Just wondering if that is a true statement?

In typical honda fashion, motors usually last forever and can be thrashed day in and out. Is the beat any exception?

How many trouble free km (with proper maintenance) can I expect before the engine needs a rebuild or any serious work?

I'm going to to my timing belt right away (i don't believe it has ever been done yet) as I've heard some go as early as 45,000km. Its not worth the risk.

Thanks kindly all,

Mylee
05-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Typical Honda reliability, although, like you say cambelt is a must.
A batch of poor dizzy's got fitted to some cars and this can cause cambelt failure. Do a search for all info
9/10 use oil. So check it regularly.
Rough running is normally electrical before mechanical. ECU capacitors are known to swell causing problems as is the main relay located next to the ECU. Both are behind the passenger seat and therefore subject to engine heat.
As with any engine, regular maintenance is the key to longitivity.
Not sure about thrashing it, at 18 years old and 660cc may be you bought the wrong car, 40k km or not?

unclejemima
06-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Typical Honda reliability, although, like you say cambelt is a must.
I will make sure to do this ASAP

A batch of poor dizzy's got fitted to some cars and this can cause cambelt failure. Do a search for all info
Ok, i'll search this. I have no idea what a "dizzy" is.

9/10 use oil. So check it regularly.
Good to know. S2000's have this problem as well. Its not a problem as long as you check the oil often. S2000 guys like to check the oil every time they re-fuel.

Rough running is normally electrical before mechanical. ECU capacitors are known to swell causing problems as is the main relay located next to the ECU.
Good to know as well, thanks.

Not sure about thrashing it, at 18 years old and 660cc may be you bought the wrong car, 40k km or not?
Well, I might have used the word "trashing" wrong. What I meant is, can it be driven like it was meant to. Like frequent trips to 8500rpm (after then engine is warm) and such. I keep referring to the Honda S2000 (the other car I was going to buy) and that car can see 9000rpm day in/day out for over 150,000miles if properly maintained. I've seen some beats for sale with over 125,000km on it, perhaps this is a good sign then?

Thanks for the reply,

Mylee
06-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Dizzy = distributor ;)

The s2000 you refer to has the legendary K20 Vtec engine, as fitted to the EP3 and DC5 Type R as well but they are controlled electronically different, hence the power differences. This is totally totally different to the Beat's power plant and I don't think I'd compare the two.

However my Beat has 40k km on the clock as well and I frequently use high revs. Problems seem to occur when the rev limiter is removed to allow higher revs and speed in 5th gear.
One thing I done when I imported my Beat 18 months ago was to change every servicable part before using it in anger, i.e all fluids, filters and belts
Not sure it would really make a difference, but it gave me peace of mind

marge602
06-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Mine's done nearly 70k miles and i wring it out to its redline regularly. I always warm it up thoroughly first, keep it in decent quality fresh oil and i had the cambelt done when i first got it for peace of mind. I wouldn't describe it as thrashing it as i only redline it on proper full-attack backroad drives.

If i'm actually going somewhere, using long and straight main roads and dual-carriageways, i'll only do 60-65 mph. As the Beat has ridiculously short gearing, even these speeds mean 5000 odd rpm. I believe that these extended periods of constant high rpm are probably more detrimental to a Beat engine than being up and down the rev range and up and down the gears through the twisties.

To this end, even though you've just bought a Beat(hello and welcome by the way) i'd say to any prospective buyer to consider the kind of journeys they wish to do in it. I love my Beat, but really don't enjoy driving it on dualies and M-ways at all. Horses for courses and all that.

Regards

Marge

Andy V
06-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Here's a link to an old thread that I referred to when I checked our Beat's distributor number:

http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=136&highlight=dizzy

I had to borrow a smallish telescopic mirror-on-a-stick to help read the number without removing it.

Andy.

Steve_M
06-02-2009, 09:25 PM
The s2000 you refer to has the legendary K20 Vtec engine, as fitted to the EP3 and DC5 Type R as well but they are controlled electronically different, hence the power differences.

I know its not relevant to this thread really, but S2000 does not have a K20 as per EP3 DC5, its a completely differant engine. Code F20.

:p

Mylee
06-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Then I stand corrected.

unclejemima
07-02-2009, 05:11 PM
However my Beat has 40k km on the clock as well and I frequently use high revs. Problems seem to occur when the rev limiter is removed to allow higher revs and speed in 5th gear.
Ah yes. I plan to only drive mine in town (no extended highway drives), and also I plan to leave the rev limiter stock. I've actually not driven mine yet, so I hope the rev limiter has not been toyed with yet...I shall soon find out...

One thing I done when I imported my Beat 18 months ago was to change every servicable part before using it in anger, i.e all fluids, filters and belts
Not sure it would really make a difference, but it gave me peace of mind
Good idea. I always like to do this as well. Oil filters and such (for the beat anyhow) are PITA to find in my area, but I will have to special order some. Did you change the timing belt as well when you changed all fluids, filters and belts? How about the fuel filters? Tranny oil as well, or just engine oil?

Thanks kindly!

Mylee
08-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Nope, changed everything, all fluids and belts - coolant and alternator included! Got all the parts from my local Honda dealer using part numbers from this site!
I have a list if you'd like it?
FYI, I believe the oil filter from a Jazz will fit. I take it your not in the UK then?

Steve_M
09-02-2009, 03:57 PM
FYI, I believe the oil filter from a Jazz will fit. I take it your not in the UK then?

No, Not Jazz. Acty Van.

15400-PFB-014

Mylee
09-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Then I stand corrected.

X2 :rolleyes:

Steve_M
09-02-2009, 06:55 PM
You should know by now I am the Honda Oracle and Oversees all :cool:

(Even thou I may be in Norway winter testing new Honda Models, Im still looking out for you UK beaters ;)

unclejemima
10-02-2009, 03:17 PM
No, Not Jazz. Acty Van.

15400-PFB-014

Perfect. I actually own a 1991 Honda Acty 4wd Truck. The engine code is the same E07A, (but it only has 34hp and a carb). I was hoping they would have the same oil filter, as I have a few extra kicking around.
Thanks!
-mark

marge602
11-02-2009, 06:45 PM
What are you testing Steve? New ATR? NSX replacement? Proddie version of the super-cool CR-Z concept? Fingers-crossed-much-hoped-for new S1000? C'mon, spill the beans. You know you want to...;)

Steve_M
11-02-2009, 09:15 PM
New Insight.

Accord Diesel Auto.

Accord Diesel (High Power).

marge602
11-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Ah, the stuff that's almost on sale then. Most of the cars i listed will probably never be made, but i can't wait to see the CR-Z. If it looks anything like the concept, it'll be fantastic.

Steve_M
11-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Yes, these are all Mass-Pro cars. with Embargo's lifted so no need for camoflage etc.

Well they are covered in snow, so its a bit difficult to see badges and body lines.

Id add a picture if I could get the attachment manager to work :suicide:

P.s. CR-Z is still coming, even with all the other cut backs at the mo (Ive seen info)