PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter required and fuel Filter Ques.

aj17ay
16-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi

I would like to know where is the best place to get an genuine OEM air filter!

I checked my oil filter and it REALLY needs replacing!

Honda Dealers best bet? Price - does anybody know?

Also I ran my car dry of fuel last week! It's been okay since. Would I need to change the fuel filter and also, would it be a good idea to use some Redex fuel injector cleaner for the beat?

Cheers

Ajay

Steve_M
16-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Air filter Part no. is 17220-P36-010 price £24.45

Should be available from Honda dealer

aj17ay
16-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Hi

I had another problem today at the petrol pumps!

My fuel was quite low so I visited the pumps and filled the tank up. But when I tried to start the Beat it wouldn't start.

The guy behind me, helped me out. He said to keep pumping the clutch to help pump the fuel through.

last week, I completley ran out of fuel while I was driving. Could this be the cause of all of this?

is there anything I can put down my petrol tank to clear any blockages that might have occurred?

OR is the problem related to the fuel filter and air filter?

Please help!
I'm upset all this is happening, only had the Beat for like a month! :(

Ajay

Wh1teLeopard
16-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Sounds like it might be due a good service. Even if it's already been serviced it won't hurt to do it again.

Plugs, air filter, oil filter, oil change etc

You can try a fuel flush, but I'd try the full service first.

Can you hear your fuel pump turn when you turn the ignition key? It's a whirr noise if you turn it to just make the dash lights come on.

aj17ay
16-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Hey

My Air Filter REALLY needs changing. I want to get that ASAP! Its ALL BLACK.

Before I bought the car, a brand new distributor, cam gear, cambelt was all done before the car was given to me! :)

Would that have included an oil change?

I was thinking about taking it to Honda, to get the following done:

Engine Oil
Gearbox Oil
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs and
Coolant flush!

Anybody know how much it might cost? Any local Beat owners to Birmingham, offer this service? :)

Whiteleopard - I can hear the fuel pump perfectly when I turn the ignition key.

Also, on my battery the negative terminal is fully tightened, but it can easily be pulled off. Would this contribute to the starting problem?

Any ideas how I could tighten this connection? At the moment its tensioned on maximum!

Mylee
16-12-2008, 08:45 PM
I'd go to Honda if a was you ;)

Steve_M
16-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Hey

Also, on my battery the negative terminal is fully tightened, but it can easily be pulled off. Would this contribute to the starting problem?

Any ideas how I could tighten this connection? At the moment its tensioned on maximum!

Slacken the nut fixing and tap the terminal connector down the tapered battery post as much as you can then retighten nut.

Wh1teLeopard
16-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Failing that, try reshaping the connector to make it more snug, we had to do that to Jay's mondeo, however when that happened everything went dead, no central locking, no clock, no lights, no dash lights.

Brindley Honda in cannock and Birmingham will supply the parts, I know that much. Brindley honda in cannock did my cambelt too.

aj17ay
16-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the reply guys! Really appreciate it :)

I've turned the connector upside down on the negative side and it is a lot tighter now. Before you could just lift the connector and it would come off! :)

I will call Honda tomorrow and see how much will be charging. I did recieve a letter a few weeks ago, stating that I will be given 10% off, since I had my previous civic serviced there.

Hopefully this should cure any problems I am having, especially regarding the fuel issue!

barney
17-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Cut a piece of tin (i.e biscuit tin thin) and put it inside the connector. Job done.:D

aj17ay
17-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Just a quick update ...

The Brindley Honda in Birmingham is closed, and will try the Halesown branch!

I got in touch with Avondale Honda (Solihull) regarding the service! I specifically wanted the following work done:

Engine Oil
Gearbox Oil
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs and
Coolant flush!

Parts were quoted to be at over £100, which I don't have a problem with. But the total price was stated to be over £400!!! :eek::suicide:

Labour charges were quoted at £81.50 and 2 and half hours were needed.

Which I find really hard to believe! It's a bloody rip off!

Any members on here, recommend a good garage around Birmingham that will do the job?

Im going to phone, the Halesown Brindley Honda, to see what they can offer!
:)

Steve_M
17-12-2008, 04:05 PM
2 and a half hours sounds resonable.

Time to get engine cover off to change spark plugs.

Coolant change is time consuming as well.

Labour rate for a Honda dealer is right.

Probably best to find a good non franchise place to do the work.

Wh1teLeopard
17-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Just because it's Honda doesn't mean they'll know what it is ha ha, most Honda dealers have never seen a Beat.

I know Brindley in Cannock have though, at least 4 now.

So you're not likely to loose anything by going to another garage, is what i'm trying to say.

aj17ay
17-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Cheers again for the reply.

I'm planning to do all the work myself now! This way, i'll also get to learn etc.

The Air filter is going to be easy, only thing im a bit unsure about is how to change the fuel filter and spark plugs (1.0 - 1.1mm gap)! Although I have been reading/watching videos of how to do it.

Also my clutch is really spongy! I think I may have an air lock! So im looking to re-bleed the clutch too.

And I couldnt find the a thread on how to change the gearbox oil in a beat. Does anybody have a picture diagram, that can be useful??

WhiteLeopard you're absolutely right, both Honda dealers I called havent heard of one or seen one before. So it shouldn't really make a big difference. :)

Also has anyone ordered from Concept Autosport? (http://www.conceptautosport.co.uk/index.php)

They seem to order genuine OEM parts. knowledge on delivery time?

Cheers

Steve_M
18-12-2008, 09:01 AM
I would watch out with some of the prices that concept autos are charging, you can buy a genuine Honda part from you local Honda dealer cheaper. so worth comparing.

aj17ay
18-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the tip steve.

Im going to my local honda dealer shortly. Will be ordering air filter, and get a price to get them to supply/fit fuel filter and order myself a brand new main relay too.

Will also try some injector cleaner additive today.

Regarding the main relay, I was searching previous posts and came across a Beat owner who used the main relay from a CRV and he stated in worked perfectly!

Anybody else tried the main relay from a CRV, to work to success?

TADO
18-12-2008, 10:50 AM
hi aj17ay
hope all this hassle isnt spoiling your first weeks of beat ownership too much!
regarding the main relay, i switched mine a while back and it instantly cured the hot-starting problem - not sure if this is what you have but its probably worth doing before summer anyways.
not sure about the need to use a CRV one - i seem to remember mine arriving very quickly from honda (might be wrong tho - steve can probably confirm)...

Steve_M
18-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Fuel filter should be 16010-SK7-K61 @ £35.58

Beat Main relay 39400-SS1-003 @ £59.70.

Nearly all Honda Main relays of that era were Mitsuba relays anyway of similiar connection terminals, some do have differant shape connector and others with same connector have a model specific mounting bracket.

I see no need to use a CRV relay to improve on performance as relay internals would be the same.

aj17ay
18-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Update!

I've booked my car in Honda to get some work done on wednesday.
Will be getting the fuel filter replaced, main relay, air filter, spark plugs and hopefully adjust the tapets.

I've got my fingers crossed that this will cure my starting problem! :)

Mylee
18-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Could be an expensive xmas present