PDA

View Full Version : Engine rebuild and more horse extraction.

beardo
07-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Although the engine in our Beat runs sweet enough, it uses too much oil. So I have decided to rebuild the engine out of the Beat that I am breaking in order to eventually fit it to ours. While it's in bits, are there any off the shelf modifications I can carry out? I will be replacing the piston rings, shells and valve stem oil seals as well as giving it a thorough clean. The head will be stripped, ported and polished and I will also try to obtain a lightened flywheel. So, what else can I do? Any cams available etc?

beardo
09-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Yesterday morning I removed the engine and gearbox. This morning I split them and got it onto the engine stand and the stripping commenced.

Hope to have the pistons out very shortly.

TADO
09-10-2008, 01:27 PM
oh god - thats a very familiar sight for me! :D
the only probs we had when rebuilding were working out the shell sizes as all the colour codings had worn off and the crank stampings were very very faint. the rest was quite 'normal' - so im told anyways!

FEELS, RS Mach etc all do stuff for engines - cams, over-sized 700cc kits etc, but like everything its expensive to get hold of over here.

beardo
09-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Stripping complete. Now for the slow process of gathering new parts, cleaning old parts etc. Note the tools and bits everywhere approach.

Wh1teLeopard
09-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Looking good, if you need any help with putting it back together TADO and I must be experts by now lol

TADO
09-10-2008, 08:42 PM
ahhh. ummm, maybe not me! we may both have the stuff written down, but the difference is that you actually know and understand what all the numbers mean! :p

marcair
10-10-2008, 12:32 AM
Cause the Manual is not in Engilish, you have the opportunity to compile a thorough dis-assembly / re-assembly procedure to assist most Beat owners eventually. To offset your costs, consider that there may be a market to sell the info pkg (complete with sequence, special tools, torques, part numbers, etc.). I, for one, would pay, donate or contribute a few $$ to obtain and file such a pkg.

Wh1teLeopard
10-10-2008, 10:20 AM
You always come up with some scheme to make money lol

The bottom end looks a bit creamy, what was the head gasket like?

beardo
10-10-2008, 10:28 AM
You always come up with some scheme to make money lol

The bottom end looks a bit creamy, what was the head gasket like?

Head gasket was fine. It had snapped its cambelt. The reason for the cream was because the guy I bought it off had removed the engine cover and rocker cover and not protected it from the elements. I was rather surprised and anxious when I dropped the oil and a load of rain water came out. Luckily there has been no corrosion due to this. All the valves in the head are bent so may have to look for another head as 12 new valves and guides will be expensive.

marcair
10-10-2008, 04:29 PM
I am trying to urge those who have the opportunity, to compile data valuable to other Owners.

Steve_M
10-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Beardo, Let me know if you need any information regarding part numbers or torque figures etc. Any other info from Engine Shop manual.

beardo
13-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Beardo, Let me know if you need any information regarding part numbers or torque figures etc. Any other info from Engine Shop manual.

Thanks for that, I appreciate it.

beardo
27-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Really must start putting this engine back together.