PDA

View Full Version : valve grinding/seating :help:

TADO
14-12-2007, 05:46 PM
random question, but does anyone have any tips for grinding in the exhaust valves? ive spent the afternoon doing the intake side fine, but the exhaust ones are quite frustrating - theyre just a bit too small for the sucker on the grinding stick i have. ive looked online but cant seem to find any smaller sized sticks - has anyone who's done this before got any tips? i'd rather not use a drill if possible...
cheers in advance!
mike

LawrenceHarding
14-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Would a lump of Blu-Tac do?

TADO
14-12-2007, 06:20 PM
hi lawrence
we tried that earlier but the bluetack we had wasnt too great - its just twisted round itself :( i might go and get a fresh pack and give it another go tomorrow.
i was wondering if there were smaller grinding sticks available for things like lawn mowers etc? the one i have is about 20mm at the smallest end...

LawrenceHarding
14-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Rs components (www.rswww.com and search for suckers) are currently listing a set with smallest size of 5/8 inch (about 16 mm) but they are in limited supply.

TADO
14-12-2007, 09:11 PM
thats BRILLIANT lawrence. thankyou very much!
:D

Steve_M
15-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Use a piece of rubber pipe that is a tight fit on to the valve stem. put the valve into the head and attach the pipe to the valve stem then using some thing like a pencil betwwen your hands to turn the rubber pipe and the valve while giving a downward pull.

TADO
17-12-2007, 10:43 AM
hi steve
thanks for the tip :)
im hoping to get back on with it today. ive ordered one of the mini-sticks from the site lawrence mentioned but if it doesnt turn up today ill give the rubber pipe method a go.
cheers!
mike