PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swaps

bibbles
09-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Haha, well this topic has been done to death, but why not. Once upon a time someone was working on a Hayabusa swap, in fact a few people still are, however, for most of us 190bhp in a Beat is more than one really [iwants[/i]. The cost of something like a motorcycle swap is also a bit staggering, so for the rest of us, it might be nice if we could find an engine which was small, transversally mounted, reliable, and came with a normal manual transmission. The more power the better, obviously, but usable power is what counts.

I for one can't really find anything. The Panda 100hp makes 100hp (hurr hurr) out of a 1.4l motor, though personally I'd like to keep it under a liter. Smart is an obvious choice, however I don't think they came with a manual transmission (though an adaptor plate could be figured out).

The K6A came in the Cappuccino which we all know, but has been updated and now (or rather 00-05) comes in the Suzuki Wagon R, in an FF configuration! It's claimed at standard Kei BHP but I've been told by Cappuccino Sport that the newer K6A units develop 100+BHP stock. That combined with an 8500RPM redline make this seem like a fairly decent replacement and, even if it doesn't make as much power as Cappuccino Sport would like it to, there exist a number of tuning options for it already. The only issues I see are with cooling the turbo charged engine sufficiently.

Likewise there is the K10A with all the same benefits and drawbacks.

It seems to me like there should be a peaky 1l engine somewhere that makes about 100hp stock, I can't find it though. The best I can come up with is the K6A and a fan on the intercooler to keep the air flowing.

So how about you guys? Please try to list the engine code, the car that it came in, it's specifications, and any other relevant details!

Jennifer
09-12-2007, 10:18 PM
would need to wide arch it and have rear vents 205 t16 style for cooling.

If you want about 100bhp and keep it sub 1.4 mmm not only that you would need to see what the engine dimensions are aswell, bigger engine would prob need arches widening

bibbles
09-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Well, wide arches exist, Backyard Special has some. The K6A would almost certainly fit as they are about the same in displacement, though the K6A has the turbo set up. I can't seem to find what system is used to shifter input, mechanical, cable, hydraulic... Probably not the biggest worry in the world though.

If one wanted to keep their A/C (I probably would, living in Los Angeles) would then need to get the K6A's compressor?

tinytim
10-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Hi guys, U'r right with the done to death. I put a project A chip in a standard Version Z Beat and with my foot on the floor on the M4 I couldn't steer, I'd have to let up to put the front wheels back down so for your 100bhp get a bag of cement as well :). I was in the process of putting together a 700cc engine (parts available from Japan) but ran into more than a few engineering problems and then emigrated to Oz before completion. There is apparantly a turbo kit available and I am aware of a Nitros Beat, all use the original Beat engine.

As I saw it the only option was to modify the existing engine because it's tiny. It's not much longer than it is wide and it's already fitted at an angle to make it fit the tiny gap it slots into. If you also plan to put an adaptor plate in you need an even shorter block. An option (which I've recently discovered) could be an outboard engine, I've just bought a 130hp Yamaha V4 for my boat (I needed a Beat substitute) and I'd say it's a possibility mainly due to it being a 2 stroke so no sump. How to deal with the noise would be an issue and whether an outboard engine can deal with constantly varying demands is something of a debatable point and as a 2 stroke it probably has a snowballs chance in hell of meeting emission requirements. A 2 stroke is far more responsive and gives a superb power to weight ratio however Honda make some very good 4 strokes which may well be the size you need but I don't know if they do a V.

Best of luck, you are perpetuating the search for the beat holy grail and I hope you find it.