PDA

View Full Version : Project Bumble Beat

Wh1teLeopard
03-12-2007, 08:55 PM
I'm crap at keeping secrets so I thought I might as well share the blog with you all

http://www.leopardperformance.com/ProjectBB/

Jennifer
03-12-2007, 10:52 PM
I like this but I have no clue were those dials are from, but I am really excited you are goign ahead with this!

Wh1teLeopard
03-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Thanks Jennifer. :)

marcair
04-12-2007, 12:25 AM
Fantastic.
I have been very fortunate that my Beat responds without hesitation to my agressive driving and that it continues to offer that "over the shoulder" look - you know, after parking it and walking away, one final appreciation glance is an involuntary movement developing a smile. The Italian lines -Pininfaria.

Now, re the 'sleeper' powerplant installation. Provided with the proper chassis rigidity improvements are attended to, the handling capability will push the scale. Will the rear wheelwells be cut to allow 'meat' inside the stock finders? Also, will the front suspension be alltered (narrowed) to allow fatties inside these fenders? Ignorant of the street legal requirements, are you persuing track and street? Pls document the design progession.

Have patience.

TADO
04-12-2007, 09:03 AM
excellent news em - glad to see progress being made! look forward to seeing more updates to your blog.
ill give kenzo a prod today for you :)

Mylee
04-12-2007, 12:59 PM
ill give kenzo a prod today for you :)

Give him a prod for me to please, I'm still waiting as well!

TADO
04-12-2007, 01:20 PM
just prodded him :D - think you'll hear from him today mylee.
em - will send you a pm :)

8EAT
05-12-2007, 05:42 PM
should look very cool when finished:)

Wh1teLeopard
10-12-2007, 12:40 AM
Updated it today :)

Mylee
10-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Love your comment about admiring your destruction :D

What influenced your choice of engine? Just curious cos I would've thought the K20 was the more obvious choice.

Wh1teLeopard
10-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Back yard special put an integra engine in one, I just wanted to go one better

Adam
12-12-2007, 10:11 AM
From the pic it looks like a h22, am I right?

You'll have a problem with traction, cause you'll have too much power. I know most wouls say there is no such thing but I'm serious. The 1.5 vtec 130 bhp would be enough.

I was driving a vti which is much heavier and she was still spinning in 2nd gear.

Just a thought

Wh1teLeopard
12-12-2007, 10:44 AM
It's the H22A7, and don't panic we have considered these things.

I'm going to have to learn how to drive it, but we're putting wide wheels on the back hence the wide arch kit. Won't illiminate the problem but will help.

We'll also be altering the KPI angle to give us a larger scrub radius to help grip and road feedback

Paul w
12-12-2007, 03:14 PM
OMG!

You fitting a parachute?

PW

old'uns
12-12-2007, 04:32 PM
looks a bit different from last friday night!
hope you've got engine right way round:):help:

Adam
12-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Wow thats overkill. Goodluck and be carefull.

Wh1teLeopard
12-12-2007, 06:33 PM
lol @ Old'uns.

I think Jamie (the Boyfriend) will be test driving it first. I think he'll have to be the insured one on it as I'm a bit too young. It'll still be my beat in spirit despite what the V5 might say lol

It's all things to sort out in the future, I'm not worried

LawrenceHarding
12-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Please excuse my ignorance. What is an H22A7?? Is it out of a Type R?

Wh1teLeopard
12-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Yes the Accord Type R

Bruce
19-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Girl, you got cojones... Astonishing. :eek:

I am very scared by the prospect, but salute your ambition.

I'm interested in your change in kingpin (steering axis) inclination, as I studied suspension, steering and vehicle dynamics at uny. Are you increasing the angle to help compensate for wider tyres, and if so, how? I guess the only option is to fractionally lengthen the wishbone, as moving the strut mount at the top would require a lot of work. I'm surprised it's worth it for the effort required in making longer wishbones.

Bruce

Wh1teLeopard
20-12-2007, 09:08 PM
It's all just ideas being thrown around at the moment. Nothing's been set in concrete.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you study? I've applied to study motorsport at Derby university next year. Which course did you do? How would you rate it? Were they helpful to you/help you with problems?

Bruce
22-12-2007, 12:08 AM
I went to Sheffield and studied Mechanical Engineering several years ago. We entered one of the first Formula Student competitions, which is an amazing event. At Sheffield, they didn't really have motorsport experts there, so I relied on my own research.

The ultimate bible of race car vehicle dynamics is by Milliken & Milliken. They did the calculations for that stunt in the Bond film where the car jumps over the twisted broken bridge whilst rolling along its axis. That must have been a fun calc... Very technical, 1000 pages, but a bit steep though.

Good luck with your studies.

Wh1teLeopard
22-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Many thanks Bruce, now I know who to annoy with suspension questions :p

Derby have offered me a place for next year now, which I've accepted apparently I'll be only the 3rd girl to study with them which could be interesting but it's what I expected anyway in a typically male dominated industry.

Wh1teLeopard
01-01-2008, 01:19 AM
www.leopardperformance.com/ProjectBB/

Not much left now lol
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/Wh1teLeopard/01012008013.jpg

Click the link above for more photos

marcair
03-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Beautiful.
Have you considered locating a 'half' round, open top, steering wheel to solve the gauge visability issue? Anyone with a source?

What is planned to address the calculated torsion effects upon the steetmetal chassis? Tubular primary from rear to front with diagonals in the floor? Or a cage? Cool, if when complete, the outside appearance - it's a sleeper. So you can just look over at a light and smile at the kid who revs his toy. Then wave bye-bye.

Wh1teLeopard
03-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Incomplete non circular steering wheels are not legal here.

It's going to be a mix of armour coating the chassis and a roll cage

Steve_M
03-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Em

Regarding your comment in your blog about wiring diagrams.

Download English wiring diagram http://www.manser42.freeserve.co.uk/Beat.zip here

HTH

Wh1teLeopard
03-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Awesome Steve, thank you so much :)

That's very very kind of you