PDA

View Full Version : sad day

Mylee
29-10-2007, 04:40 PM
After only one summer of fun it looks like my beat is going to the scrapyard in the sky.
Whilst driving home from work at about 3am this morning, I swirved to miss someone who'd jumped a red light and ploughed the beat into some heavy duty railings. :(

I spent most of this morning in A & E but it looks like all I've suffered is bruising where the little cars seat belt done it's job.

First off it didn't look to bad, headlight and bumper, possible bonnet but when I went to move it, no go. The front wheels are all over the shop.
My fear is that the cost of the parts will be to close to the cars value and hence, written off.
I'm just glad I've kept the receipts for the grands worth of work I had done over the summer.
Still think I'll be seriously out of pocket and Beatless

........And you guessed, the other car didn't stop.

Gutted is an understatement.

TADO
29-10-2007, 05:23 PM
oh crap. really sorry to hear that mylee. glad you're ok - thats the important thing. gutted for you tho.

i know its probably the last thing on your mind at the moment, but if you decide to repair, i know someone who has a complete rolling chassis - everything but the engine and he doesnt want much for it at all.

Wh1teLeopard
29-10-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that mylee, but as said at least you are ok. Beat's can at least be replaced even if not with another beat, but people can't.

I hope your insurance company are reasonable and it doesn't cause you too much upset in the coming days.

Take some time to rest yourself, then you can sort out what you'll do next ;)

If there's anything I can do to help, just ask.

LawrenceHarding
29-10-2007, 07:56 PM
My fear is that the cost of the parts will be to close to the cars value and hence, written off.

Sorry to hear the bad news. You could try negotiating a cash settlement, keeping the salvage, then get it fixed.

Mylee
29-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks guys. Your right, most important thing is me. But now I'm ok, the second thing is the little car!
The car is being collected tomorrow for assessment. And Tado, that is now the main thing on my mind! The car is now (was) looking new, with only 40000km, I hope I'm in a strong position regarding the insurance. Time will tell, but I've already decided that I'm not gonna let my little car die without a fight!

Wh1teLeopard
29-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Go on auto trader and print out the 2 beat adverts on there, they're asking for high prices, and any other beats you can find at a good price.

If your insurance company say your car is worth less than those prices, present your findings to them. They are obliged by the FIA to honour current selling prices of cars. It's just up to you to prove beats are more expensive than they may think ;)

Little tip I learnt whilst working for an insurance company.

Mylee
30-10-2007, 12:02 AM
Thanks Em. I could only find one, J Reg @ STS

Mylee
30-10-2007, 01:26 PM
http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/images/attach/jpg.gif

:(

Mylee
30-10-2007, 01:30 PM

Doesn't look 'to bad' in the picture above, but you can see what I mean about the wheels from this picture
The passenger side is at the correct angle!

Mylee
30-10-2007, 01:33 PM

Shame really, as I'd just got the beat looking half decent with a wheel refurb and a new roof :(

TADO
30-10-2007, 02:15 PM
arg. really sorry again mylee - i really hope you manage to get this sorted out properly! hope you get a satisfactory outcome from the insurence folks.
as em said if theres anything that can be done to help out just shout.

ps - for waht its worth the new hood and wheels look superb. :)

Wh1teLeopard
30-10-2007, 08:38 PM
I've got a bonnet for sale which you can have cheap, would be cheaper than buying a new one and needs to be resprayed anyway. Any good bodyshop could change the colour easily.

If you're interested just let me know, if not I do not mind, just something I'd sugest :)

Mylee
30-10-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm just waiting for the insurance assessor to give his view. If it's written off, I'll be buying it back and sorting the repair myself. So thanks Em i'd love your bonnet, it's just a question of time.

Thanks people for all your offers of help, speaks volumes. I guess there are some genuine people left in this country. :)

old'uns
31-10-2007, 12:14 PM
seen worse, at least its one side suspension wise, not both if any consolation.
if you buy back, i've got Emm's old bumper in yellow, needs bit of attention, but in one piece.
if you need bumper & emm's bonnet i 'subby' to a co. in Maidstone & their van is up our way a fair bit so free postage to Kent:)

Mylee
31-10-2007, 04:17 PM
seen worse, at least its one side suspension wise, not both if any consolation.
if you buy back, i've got Emm's old bumper in yellow, needs bit of attention, but in one piece.
if you need bumper & emm's bonnet i 'subby' to a co. in Maidstone & their van is up our way a fair bit so free postage to Kent:)

That's fantastic Mate, thanks very much. :)

Jennifer
02-11-2007, 09:25 AM
keep us updated on what the insurance says I don't know how many spares I have left but will have a look non the less to help the person who helped me get a 2nd beat!

Mylee
02-11-2007, 02:59 PM
keep us updated on what the insurance says I don't know how many spares I have left but will have a look non the less to help the person who helped me get a 2nd beat!

Thanks Jen

Rod
02-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Sorry to read about your accident, glad to here you OK.

I don't have any spares to help with, but if you need any parts which you can't obtain here I may be able to help you get them direct from Japan.

There is a guy who has a beat for sale up north, I found it on the beat map, have a look as he's looking for offers.

Regarding the accident, did the traffic lights have a camera's on them. Just a long shot but you may be able to obtain the idiots ID from that?

Drop me an e-mail if you want to know more about the parts.

Mylee
03-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Sorry to read about your accident, glad to here you OK.

I don't have any spares to help with, but if you need any parts which you can't obtain here I may be able to help you get them direct from Japan.

There is a guy who has a beat for sale up north, I found it on the beat map, have a look as he's looking for offers.

Regarding the accident, did the traffic lights have a camera's on them. Just a long shot but you may be able to obtain the idiots ID from that?

Drop me an e-mail if you want to know more about the parts.

That would be great - thanks Rod, I've actually been a bit pro active and looked on Japhoo auction site and everything I need is available at the moment, minus bonnet and bumper as arragements are in place for these.
As soon as I know which way this is gonna go with the insurance company I'll be in touch.

Once again a big thank-you to everyone for the help offered..........
........< group hug > :D

s8rah
11-11-2007, 01:25 AM
:( Mylee, so sorry to hear about accident, I've been busy & only just found out. sorry, no parts to offer, just sympathy. keep us posted

Mylee
12-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Heard from the insurance this morning, it's a total loss :( Just waiting for the engineer to ring with some info and their rediculous offer

Wh1teLeopard
12-11-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that :(

TADO
12-11-2007, 02:09 PM
:( :( :(
really hope you manage to find a way to sort this mylee.

-Jc.
12-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi Mylee,

I've just seen your story for the first time -soory to hear about the accident, but glad you're ok.

I had a total loss back in 2002 (see www.skidmarks.co.uk (http://www.skidmarks.co.uk)) and the insurers offered me £2,500, which I politely declined, the value at the time being up to £4,500.

Within a couple of days, they came back with £3,500! I went to the autotrader site and printed out all the ads for top-price Beats (all the £4,999 trade hopefuls) and faxed them over. Their 'final' offer came back at £4,200, which I accepted, less the £50 excess.

I then asked to keep the wreck, which they wanted about £600 for. Bought another, poor condition Beat for just over 2 grand, took the best bits from each, got it tickled up and re-sprayed, then sold the remains. Ended up about even. Still a very happy beat owner.

I hope that inspires you to be tough with the insurers. Good luck!

-Jc.

Mylee
12-11-2007, 03:44 PM
*****UPDATE*****

Insurance Engineer has just rung, and I must say what a breath of fresh air. A very knowledgable chap who'd obviously done his Honda Beat homework! :D
The car isn't a 'write off' it is an 'uneconomical repair' as his estimate comes in at approx £2900.
He has suggusted that I consider a 'cash in lou' payment for repairs. Basically they pay me £2000 to effect the repairs myself. He is happy that the car is repairable and doesn't need to inform the DVLA to have a catorgory added to the log book. If I refuse the car will be sent for salvage :eek: and he estimated it's value between £3750 and £4000!

Wh1teLeopard
12-11-2007, 06:11 PM
That's a least some good news for you :)

obiwanwasabe
13-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Hiya,
Sorry to hear of your RTA.. main thing is you're OK... when dealing with the insurance remember if it is considered a total loss you are made an initial offer from an assessor and an offer that is negotiable, so negotaite, you may also need to do some research to prove your case if the offer is too low. The general policy of insurance companies lately is not to allow total loss vehicles to be "bought back".....good luck

Nick

Steve_M
13-11-2007, 12:43 PM
He has suggusted that I consider a 'cash in lou' payment for repairs. Basically they pay me £2000 to effect the repairs myself. He is happy that the car is repairable and doesn't need to inform the DVLA to have a catorgory added to the log book.

That does not sound a bad option, if your happy to do some tinkering with the repairs yourself.

Mylee
22-11-2007, 06:12 AM
Well things are progressing, I've located a rolling chassis minus the engine for a good price ( thanks Tado! :D ) so I have a donor car for all my spares. I'll be taking all the bits I need to get roadworthy again and then the rest will be up for grabs. I'll be posting any available parts on here. Let me know if there's anything specific you need, as when I'm done I'll be disposing of whats left due to lack of storage space

TADO
22-11-2007, 09:11 AM
great stuff mylee. any interesting goodies on the donor car?

Mylee
22-11-2007, 11:47 AM
The interior is totally different, not sure about anything else, but you'll be first to know!

Jennifer
30-11-2007, 09:16 PM
hey thats great news good to hear!!:)

yorkshireman
04-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi Mylee, Have you seen the rear damaged Beat on EBay?All the bits you need for £995 ono! Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.Yorkshireman.

Mylee
14-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Yeah I had seen that thanks Yorkie, tbh I think it's overpriced.
Not a problem as I've sorted myself a donar car, but thanks again.