PDA

View Full Version : Tuning options?

bibbles
25-10-2007, 12:56 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering what tuning options are available for the beat. I've read about chips, and backyard special offers an ECU, however the results of these mods aren't mentioned anywhere! So what I'm asking is, what performance mods can be made, and what is the resulting gain? I'm thinking about dealing with importing on to California, and I'd like to know what my options are before committing! The only thing offputting at the moment is the claimed 11 seconds to 60! I recall the color changing beat doing 60 in 7.5, is this true, how was that mannaged?

Wh1teLeopard
25-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Yea, I own the colour changing one, and I never managed to get 0-60 in 8 seconds like I was told they can do.

You've got to remember a lot of these Beat's are now 16 years old, and they don't much like being pushed. Also the beat's engine is already very highly strung.

I think without investing large amounts of money, you'd be lucky to see more than 15bhp gain. Provided your beat was running at the 64bhp it left the factory with anyway.

I've only ever seen 1 super charging kit and that was something like $6,000 I think. I believe the chipset's are no longer for sale, and at most I'd have thought they'd offered about 5bhp at most. I've never found any difference in mine, but then I've never had mine running right.

Exhaust could give you another 2bhp, but I don't think an induction kit would give you an advantage.

Other things like funnels on the intake just move the power curve towards acceleration.

Simple answer really, if you want a fast car don't buy a 3 cylinder 660cc lol

Hope that helps.

marcair
25-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Would you consider swaping a Hayabusa for stock engine? I am currently gathering information from existing Mfr's and distributers necessary to result in an informed decision. The entire engine (185hp stock) and supports systems can be obtained for $2-4k. Quaife sells a durable limited-slip differencial with reverse. I'm considering buying another Beat from a pal in LA and mod'ing that one cause my 91 Yellow Beat arrives from the paint shop next week with new paint and wrapped interior. I will be cruising up to LA to race the other Beat.

My engine swap plans are a maybe and next year. If you are close to LA (the Valley) and want to contact the the 91 Red Beat Owner, PM me. attached is a pic of his Beat adj to his Cappo.

bibbles
25-10-2007, 09:57 PM
I actually had a thread on here about swaps and stuff. A hayabusa swap might be neat, depending on the cost. I'm not looking for a fast fast car, just a car that'll make me feel like I'm 10 again every time I sit in it. Im pretty sure a hayabusa would do that, but if i wre doing it, i would probably go for an R1 assuming the diff wasnt busa specific. Though im assuming that this will lower the final drive a good bit, otherwise i doubt the engine would be all that usable. I'm actually in LA right now, though my home is in SF, broken wrist means I couldn't do much more than oggle the cars, however I would like that a great deal! I'll PM you.

Jennifer
28-10-2007, 09:59 PM
if you are planning a bike enigne conversion unless you fabricate alot of the rear end yourself to mount the engine and other parts.

Will cost you easily in the region ok 10k+ by the time you have finished buying the engine, the special diff other new ancinliaries etc have a look in this section a few pages back pretty sure someone asked me about this a few months back