PDA

View Full Version : New Beat Owner - Lumpy running and other advice

altonhobbs
18-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Hi All

Well finally I got my Beat - it was the white one advertised on Fleabay recently - don't worry - i didn't pay the price he was asking.

Anyway - all seems great but a couple of problems Id love advice on:

1. The aircon doesn't seem to work - when I click the button there is no change to engine revs or anything...any ideas?
2. I bought a casette adaptor for my ipod but the stereo just takes it in twice then spits it out with 'error 8' any ideas why?
3. It doesn't seem to like to run along at a constant speed and revs kindof go up and down a bit make less than smooth process. It accelerates fine though. Also a couple of times it hasnt started immediately. I have been reading about resoldering the ecu and changing capacitors - is this what i need to do? I livbe in nottingham - can anyone recommend someone to do this?

Hope you can give me some advice. By the way this is a fab site for info - well done to all involved.

Thanks

Alton:confused:

Steve_M
18-09-2007, 09:17 PM
1) A/C more than likely no gas in system. System is R12 system so you will have to find aircon service place that can deal with modifying to subtitue gas.

2) Does it play normal cassette tape ok??? I dont have any experiance of these Ipod adaptors, but it may not like the fact that tape does not go round.

3)Mmmm this could be a can of worms, Is the engine light on?? More on does the light work when the ignition is turned on and then go out after a few seconds??

Does sound like ECU probs to me. Worth carrying out diagnostic check for any engine trouble codes.

HTH

altonhobbs
18-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Hi - thanks for reply

The engine light comes on when I start it and then goes out after a few seconds so that implies it is ok? How do I check for trouble codes?

I have read loads now about replacing capacitors and there is a firm refered to in a previous thread that reconditions ECUs - wonder if i should try them? http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/

alton

Steve_M
18-09-2007, 10:04 PM
http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=1448&highlight=diagnostic

obiwanwasabe
19-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Hiya,
I had similar engine probs, it used to jerk at low revs and kangaroo along in traffic, I put a new ecu on cos I found out someone had botched a repair on the capacitors, this improved it but didn't fully cure it, I then found out from the previous owner that it started doing this after the ecu repair AND a new dizzy fitted, so I took out the distributor, lined it up for fitting and fitted it correctly and reset the timing correctly and all is fine now.
Nick

Kiwi Beat
25-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Have you checked cam belt, could be stretched.